Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up with the engine belt squealing? This past Monday was my fourth
time back to the dealer to get the tensioner and belt replaced.
Three days later and the squeal is back. The dealer blames defective
tensioner everytime I go in. After the fix, there is no noise
until it comes back. I hate wasting time at the dealer b/c it's a minimum 2-3
hours wait time. Anyways going in to the dealer again tomorrow
which makes it 5 times since I bought the car. :angry4:

·
on line
376 Posts
Agreed.... mention the lemon law to them and say how you've met and exceeded the qualifications needed to be classified as a lemon and see what they do!

·
on line
26 Posts
I had that problem. My paper work states that they "installed an updated belt and belt tensioner per service bulletin #NTB06-072." The problem has not come back. Sounds like a lemon to me.

·
on line
830 Posts
hmmm my wife keeps saying the belt is squealing on start up. But by the time she comes get me its gone. But its only happening in the morning.

·
on line
26 Posts
bigdaddychia said:
hmmm my wife keeps saying the belt is squealing on start up. But by the time she comes get me its gone. But its only happening in the morning.
That's how mine started. The noise went away after a few mins, but got louder over a couple weeks.

·
on line
80 Posts
Mine is starting to do that too. Was squeaking at startup, but now I hear it sometimes taking off from an intersection.

·
on line
106 Posts
I am in the same boat all very similar cases but nissan should fix this on thier tab.

·
on line
95 Posts
Does this cause any damage, or is only an annoyance?

does dealer cover this if the warranty ran out on the X?

·
on line
238 Posts
I had the same problem. I had the TSB done that replaces the belt and tensioner. After offroading last weekend in a lot of mud and brown water the squeal came back around Tuesday/Wednesday. With a little thought I fixed the problem.

The tensioner does not apply the same tension as a manual tensioning system, so it is more prone to debrit problems. So, I figured that mud and dirt drying and spreading over the belt was causing the lack of traction in the belt which makes a squeal.

Short story (note: I am not responsible for your safety in this): Take an old clean tooth brush and hold it to the grooved side of the belt while the engine is running. It cleans off the dryed mud and dirt. No more squeal at all.

It seems to me that this is going to be a regular service item that I will be doing.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You too huh...mine stated to make an odd noise as well...nothing a little hose and belt dressing didn't fix.

Now...I think that run claimed the bearings in my alternator. It's starting to make noise again. Time to rebuild the old one.

·
on line
238 Posts
I have an extra whurly sound that may be my alternator. I'm going to hit the front and back bearing areas with silicon spray and hopefully that will take care of that. I really don't want to loose the alternator bearings already. I was thinking of makeing a heavy rubber vertical skirt to protect the alternator from direct water impact (have to check more into this).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Once I replace mine my bearings in my old alternator, I am going to give the current one to a guy on WPAXC and see if he can do with it. He built one for his old Xterra that was all but sealed.

If I have to replace the bearings once a year, so be it, but I would rather not. Figuring as much wheeling as I do and the fact that you can't avoid mud in Western PA, it might be something I have to live with.

This time I am going to take the inner fender out when i replace the alternator and see if it makes it easier. Trying to do it from the bottom is a real pain.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went in today and they replaced the tensioner and the belt AGAIN, which
makes it twice in 1 week. But less than 5 miles from the dealer and I hear a
crazy rattling noise coming from the engine. In addition, my steering is shot.
The steering wheel would vibrate and make a weird rubbing noise anytime I
turned it. The vibration was so bad, I felt the gas and brake pedals vibrating.
Back to the dealer I went. Got everything fixed. Didn't bother asking what it
was. I just wanted to get out of there.

But in Nissan's defense, the service manager did print out the TSB on belt
squeal and showed me that they followed the steps outlined which was
check power steering pump alignment, replace tensioner, and replace belt.
Don't know why Nissan can't get this right.

At least for now, no belt squeal.
:angry4:

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i wouldn't necessarily lay the total blame on nissan, if the TSB has corrected the problem for others without reoccurring issues....i think the dealership is just masking a deeper problem if it keeps happening and the service is not fixing it completely. if it happens again i would suggest arguing with the dealer over tearing the engine apart and finding out what the real problem is, no reason it should keep happening..

·
on line
18 Posts
Any idea on the date of NTB 06-072?
Our last belt replacement was last Summer and the squeal is back again...hoping the tensioner change fixes it for good. (3rd time since new in July 2005)

·
on line
26 Posts
elfhearse said:
Any idea on the date of NTB 06-072?
Our last belt replacement was last Summer and the squeal is back again...hoping the tensioner change fixes it for good. (3rd time since new in July 2005)
Personally I'm not sure, but this topic has been discussed on another forum.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts