Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we mistakedly did not release the parking brake and drove the truck about 3 miles or so with it engaged. now, when you pull the lever, you must pull it all the way up before it grabs. what's the problem you think? the brakes otherwise work great. does it just need a re-adjustment?? or could the rear pad for the e brakes be burned up?? if that's even possible?>

·
on line
631 Posts
No problem with the brakes.. just readjust it. theres a how on it, but just pull the cup holder out at the center console, use a 10mm wrench and adjust the nut until the parking brake handle only goes up 7-8 clicks... but 3 miles is nothing with the parking brake on. but if you are really worried just pull the rear rotors off, and spray some brake cleaner on the parking brake assembly...

I use my P-brake off road.. pull 3 clicks, ride the brake and gas up a rock/obstacle and you trick the ABS into locking so the tires grab instead of spin.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i adjusted via the bolt under cup holders and it is good BUT i had to tighten it all the way down. should i be good till the brake job in 9k miles? i pulled the rear tire off but didn't pull off the disk, didn't have time..

so what caused the e-brake to fade? has the lining wore down? that's the obvious thing i guess? anyhow it works but no more adjusting from inside the cab.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Driving with the e-brake on for 3 miles is the cause.

When you look at the e-brake shoes, they are VERY VERY thin to begin with. It doesn't take long to burn them up.

I replaced mine at about 25K miles and they were totally gone, but the ex-girlfriend use to leave the e-brake on all the time.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, so should i assume that the folks who do the next brake job if it's not me, will be smart enough to adjust the adjusting bolt under the cup holders??? I am also assuming the e-brake should be good until then, just looked at the pads and they look good. how big of a pia is it to swap out those e-brake pads??? guess i will need to take a peek at the SM. I have down rear brakes before on cars and trucks but nothing that ever had rear disks with the weird ebrake we have...only drum brakes in rear, but have done discs in front and they are usually stupid-easy.

i can probably do it myself, as long as i don't have to true the disks (one car house).... which i think i shouldn't have to.... but who knows...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
If you have done disk breaks before then you shouldnt have a problem changing out the ebrake pads. I havent done mine yet (30K miles) but i have an auto so i dont use mine that much.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The e-brake is actually a drum brake inside the rotor. You can't see them as they are inside.

If you have done drum brakes before, you'll have no problem with the e-brakes.

Remove the rear wheels.
Remove the calipers
Remove the caliper brackets
Remove the rotors
Look at how the shoes are attached and which shoe is on which side (it makes a difference).
Using a drum brake tool (or you can use screw drivers and pliers) remove the springs and clips.
Remove the shoes
Install the new shoes
Install the springs and clips
Adjust the nut for the e-brake lever (under the cup holder)
Adjust the adjuster until the shoes are just a touch smaller than the drum (using a drum brake caliper makes this easy).
Install the rotors
Install the caliper brackets
Install the calipers
Put the wheels back on.

That is a VERY quick and dirty run down of what is involved. It took me about an hour and a half.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!

can you buy the shoes at any auto parts store or are they a dealer item? I have alot of meat left on the pads for the normal brakes, so i can probably go a bit but i have zero adjustment left from the handle in the cab, and taking all that stuff off to just adjust seems like alot if i can wait till the big brake job, though i might do this when i am bored one day, like that's gonna happen..

;-)

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there is an adjustment from the brake side too right?? i assume it's just a rough-in type adjustment though to get her close right???

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yes, there is an adjustment on the brake side too. It's a spanner nut style adjustment that spreads the shoes apart. My guess though, there probably isn't enough meat left on the shoes to bother. If you are going to go that far, have new shoes in hand so they can be replaced.

I don't know if you can get the e-brake shoes at an auto parts store. My guess is no, but it would be worth a try. I think they are about $45 from the dealer.

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my thoughts exactly regarding the "while you are there- doit to it" mentality. I figure I am good till the next brake change. The truck at 22k on it now so that should be what? another 15 k or so??? The I will knock all the birds out with one big stone...

:)

·
on line
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gotcha.... looking at the disc pads, i think I should make the next 10k no problems.... Should be good till spring... Then I will probably do them all at once.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts