Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, having some electrical issues that I can't quite peg

My blower vent is on full blast when I start the car, or the key is in the "ON" position. I replaced the battery, and just today the blower motor resistor.

The other part of it that has me confused, is the gauge "shake" when I initially turn the key to the ON positions. Gauges shake, freak out for a second, then normalize and show everything is fine. I have no lights on, that would indicate anything crazy happening. ALSO, it seems I have no power going to the OBD port either as I have a wifi dongle, and a cheap code reader that can't get any power.

I've been through the following so far to no avail, still have the same issue:

-New Battery
-New Blower Motor Resistor
-Checked fuses and relays
-Checked the battery cables
-Went through as many ground connections as I could find
-Autozone tried to check the alternator, but couldn't get it straight through the battery, with the motor ground, it read 12.9 volts. (Brand New Battery)

I'm not the best with electrical stuff, however, I'd like to tackle this myself if anyone has any suggestions.

thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time and has any insight.

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
373 Posts
I recently had my alternator go on me. (loose battery terminal i think cause it to overwork and die) It definitely makes it act weird. put a multimeter on it and have a look. on startup it will read 18v while is full open until the ecu dictates the charge to ~14 ish after a min or so. If the alternator or voltage regulator is going you will see something different. tax the alternator with everything you can turn on and see if it still holds voltage steady.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Have to agree with this ^.

The weirdness you have all over the electrical system makes me lean more towards it being a problem with the power source. The gauge needles doing the recalibration stuff makes me think it's losing all power when the key is off. Anything traumatic happen when the previous battery went out?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Read this and prompted me to do a quick google search in memory of similar problem years ago. The titan forum has a post “gauge needles shaking at startup” where the BCM replacement fixed it. That and the repeated notion of a bad battery as well as bad “big 3” wires or alternator. Thus now I’ll add... how to test for a bad BCM for the OP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently had my alternator go on me. (loose battery terminal i think cause it to overwork and die) It definitely makes it act weird. put a multimeter on it and have a look. on startup it will read 18v while is full open until the ecu dictates the charge to ~14 ish after a min or so. If the alternator or voltage regulator is going you will see something different. tax the alternator with everything you can turn on and see if it still holds voltage steady.
Have to agree with this ^.

The weirdness you have all over the electrical system makes me lean more towards it being a problem with the power source. The gauge needles doing the recalibration stuff makes me think it's losing all power when the key is off. Anything traumatic happen when the previous battery went out?

I will definitely see about testing with a multimeter tomorrow after work. Have to find it again after the move, but i will take a look. Thank you both for the advice. I'll see what happens.

the other thing I noticed, which has me leaning even more towards the regulator or alternator, is every time I cycle the car on and off, the trip meter resets as well as all the programmed radio stations, like taking the negative terminal off the battery...hmmmm

Read this and prompted me to do a quick google search in memory of similar problem years ago. The titan forum has a post “gauge needles shaking at startup” where the BCM replacement fixed it. That and the repeated notion of a bad battery as well as bad “big 3” wires or alternator. Thus now I’ll add... how to test for a bad BCM for the OP?

thanks for the additional feedback! That didn't come up in the plethora of google searches and forum backlogs I've been digging through. One more thing to keep in the backlog incase I can't come up with something. Thanks

Appreciate everyone taking the time to help.

Geoff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check your fuses again. Mine did the same thing earlier this year. But the only way I found it, was by OHMing out all my fuses with a multimeter. It did not look blown physically, but it had no continuity through it. The mini fuses are horrible for this. The one that was blown was in the dashboard fuse box. Can't remember which one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will definitely see about testing with a multimeter tomorrow after work. Have to find it again after the move, but i will take a look. Thank you both for the advice. I'll see what happens.

the other thing I noticed, which has me leaning even more towards the regulator or alternator, is every time I cycle the car on and off, the trip meter resets as well as all the programmed radio stations, like taking the negative terminal off the battery...hmmmm

thanks for the additional feedback! That didn't come up in the plethora of google searches and forum backlogs I've been digging through. One more thing to keep in the backlog incase I can't come up with something. Thanks

Appreciate everyone taking the time to help.

Geoff

Don’t mention it. As I’ve learned too, that’s what we’re all here for. Just passing it along.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after what seemed like every single connection, relay, fuse, ground, terminal, etc, I finally got it pegged.

After checking all of the above and swapping some parts, I decided to go back to square one. Checked every single fuse and relay having to do anything with the AC/Blower, even replaced the Extended Storage Switch fuse, nada...losing hope.

After that I went back through each fuse and tested all the new fuses just incase. It ended up being a bad, new fuse inside the extended storage switch...:facepalm::withstupid:SMH in shame...

Thank you all who replied and tried to help me narrow it down. Just glad to have that done.

Why did they make the Extended Storage Switch so dang hard to get out...?

Thanks

Geoff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts