Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got a really strange one here, need some thoughts. Multiple instances of electrical issues that now seem to be forming a pattern in my '06. Lots of info below to read through, but if you can help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

First noticed it about 4 months ago when I turned on the truck & I noticed the odometer briefly flashed to something that looked like "db---------". I then tried to put it in reverse & the transmission didn't respond even though the dash indicated it was in reverse. Turned it off, then back on, and worked fine. Happened several more times, no leaks, no trans fluid in the coolant, shifted fine. Then it just stopped a few weeks later.

I'd forgotten about that till two months ago when the HVAC fan switch stopped working in the 1st position. Works fine in 2,3,&4. Also, the A/C button & recirculation buttons work intermittently, sometimes not at all, or just shut themselves off. And the A/C only works in fan position 1, when there is no air blowing out.

Then my drivers side window switch quit. Took it apart & found that it was a mechanical failure as the plastic guide on the switch had snapped in half & was keeping it from making contact with the circuit board. So, yesterday I replaced the switch. But here's the weird part: While in the dealer parking lot I installed the new switch and still got absolutely nothing. Not even a hum or a click. All other switches on the door panel work.

Took it home & took apart the door only to find the exact same thing. Not even a sound. I did a voltage check and confirmed that 12v was present at the connector for the window motor. Got a new window motor & after taking out the old one I decided to just make sure it was indeed bad. Plugged it in & it worked perfect as it always had. Put it back together & the window still works like it always has. Window goes up and down just fine; no more issues with the switch.

But then I went to start the X & the battery was dead. (Could be my fault from messing with the window switch while in the ACC position; not sure). Jumped it from my wife's car with no drama or struggle. It just fired right up. Window works, but now, the suddenly the VDC light is on and the VDC button will not respond. Also, (and this could from the battery dying) the mileage counter reset to zero. But the odometer is correct. :dontknow:

What is this?!? My first thoughts went to the ECU or ECM, but I've had no issues with the truck running smoothly. If you can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
the whole AC problems and all the fan stuff is a bad resistor card. happens to everyone, and it's the easiest fix in the world. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45923&highlight=resistor+card
as for the mileage stuff, yes the trip loses it's memory when the battery gets disconnected.
The window thing I have no idea.
get a diagnostic, in my experience if it's just vdc, there's a little box right behind the passenger front tire that gets lots of road salt or other stuff jammed into it and it can go bad. Hope I helped a little.

·
Registered
550 Posts
as the fan motor wears out, it tends to try to draw more power through the resistor card and can burn it out, so it might be worth replacing your fan motor as well, again, really really easy (took me 15 minutes, including reading the how-to)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the whole AC problems and all the fan stuff is a bad resistor card. happens to everyone, and it's the easiest fix in the world. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45923&highlight=resistor+card
as for the mileage stuff, yes the trip loses it's memory when the battery gets disconnected.
The window thing I have no idea.
get a diagnostic, in my experience if it's just vdc, there's a little box right behind the passenger front tire that gets lots of road salt or other stuff jammed into it and it can go bad. Hope I helped a little.
Much appreciated & that does look like one of the easiest fixes. Sounds like this may simply be a wave of separate problems hitting me at the same time. Good to know where the VDC box is located too. I still don't understand why it was fine, then after an electricity loss it broke, but I hated that system anyway. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
550 Posts
just to be crystal clear, the box behind the wheel isnt the actual VDC box, it's just a junction box with about 52 separate wire connectors inside it. a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Tried to add some input. Replies are in red.

Hey all, I've got a really strange one here, need some thoughts. Multiple instances of electrical issues that now seem to be forming a pattern in my '06. Lots of info below to read through, but if you can help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

First noticed it about 4 months ago when I turned on the truck & I noticed the odometer briefly flashed to something that looked like "db---------". I then tried to put it in reverse & the transmission didn't respond even though the dash indicated it was in reverse. Turned it off, then back on, and worked fine. Happened several more times, no leaks, no trans fluid in the coolant, shifted fine. Then it just stopped a few weeks later.

I'd forgotten about that till two months ago when the HVAC fan switch stopped working in the 1st position. Works fine in 2,3,&4. Also, the A/C button & recirculation buttons work intermittently, sometimes not at all, or just shut themselves off. And the A/C only works in fan position 1, when there is no air blowing out.

Like sproatlake said. New resistor card.

Then my drivers side window switch quit. Took it apart & found that it was a mechanical failure as the plastic guide on the switch had snapped in half & was keeping it from making contact with the circuit board. So, yesterday I replaced the switch. But here's the weird part: While in the dealer parking lot I installed the new switch and still got absolutely nothing. Not even a hum or a click. All other switches on the door panel work.

Took it home & took apart the door only to find the exact same thing. Not even a sound. I did a voltage check and confirmed that 12v was present at the connector for the window motor. Got a new window motor & after taking out the old one I decided to just make sure it was indeed bad. Plugged it in & it worked perfect as it always had. Put it back together & the window still works like it always has. Window goes up and down just fine; no more issues with the switch.

I'm assuming you got it fixed? I had a similar issue when I took apart my doors. The window switch can be hard to get the plug to connect properly. Resulting in what you think is a good connection, but no response for the window. For me, I was working on my passenger doors, so I was able to test that the drivers side master control could opperate the other windows, though the window's own switch did not. Unplugged it and jammed it in, making a good connection, and its working again.

But then I went to start the X & the battery was dead. (Could be my fault from messing with the window switch while in the ACC position; not sure). Jumped it from my wife's car with no drama or struggle. It just fired right up. Window works, but now, the suddenly the VDC light is on and the VDC button will not respond. Also, (and this could from the battery dying) the mileage counter reset to zero. But the odometer is correct. :dontknow:

Yes, a dead battery will reset any trip odometers, but not the master odometer (side note, vechile milage is actually stored in flash memory in the gauge cluster - not the computer for some funny reason). As for the VDC it will stay on for a number of miles as the computer re-initializes inputs from wheel sensors, ABS, etc. Typically driving in a straight line at a constant speed for a mile or two will reset it and shut the light off. While the VDC is in this mode it will be unresponsive to the button. If your X does not reset on its own, there is a procedure listed on the site. (I'd have to hunt for it though.)

What is this?!? My first thoughts went to the ECU or ECM, but I've had no issues with the truck running smoothly. If you can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
It sounds like you've just had a comedy of several errors. Beyond the weird db----- what you describe is typical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts