Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.....sooooooo i dont think anyone on this board has realized that nissan made it possible to reset the ecu w/o having to disconnect the battery and without the use of a scantool.
so this is how you reset the engine ECU

i had to reset becuase i cleaned the TB throttle body and i messed up the idle control sensor.checkengine light came on.....
i sat in the car for like 40 mins trying to remember how i reset the maxima ecu......finally remembered....here it is.

1.)turn the key to the on position (do not crank over the motor....dont start the engine)

2.) wait 3 seconds.... and then fully step on the gas and let go fully 5 times with in 5 seconds....
(ex. wait...3....stomp.stomp.stomp.stomp.stomp

3.)wait 6seconds....(not steppig on gas pedal)

4. FULLY PRESSS down on gas pedal and hold for about 10 seconds.

5.) the check engine light should be flashing.
should be flashing 10times and stop a few seconds and then 10 and stop.....etc.
6. hold down pedal again 10 secs.

7. release pedal.....turn key off.....

8...wait a few seconds and turn the motor on.....check engine light should be gone.

i think dan should sticky this. ill coppy and paste in howtosection too.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
Yikes! e=mc2 :study:

Thanks for the info.

For dummy's like me, it might be easier if I just disconnect to reset.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Hummm I was going to sticky it, but I'll wait for Dan. If it works, nice! Especially for the times when a code sets for no real reason, just a glitch.
Maybe Cornick can put it in his famous how to's in an Organized fashion. This would be one to print and carry in OM.

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just hate to disconnect the battery because i have to reset all my radio stations again.
once you get the hang of this....its pretty easy

·
on line
807 Posts
I've seen this before, but I remember the times being slightly different. It does work however, i have used it a few times... it is kinda tricky to get right though.

·
on line
240 Posts
Damn! Is there not a fuse that you can pull that knocks power out to the ECU? I know my Z28 has a pcm power fuse thats you can pull to do a reset.

·
on line
189 Posts
im just gonner discconnect da battery
that seems easier for mee..

=)

·
on line
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem with discon. the battery is that you have to sit there and reprogram your radio stations and setting and so on.
this gets alot easier once you get the hang of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts