Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this unit installed last weekend with a backup cam and bluetooth, and so far I'm happy with it. The installer did leave plenty of scratches on the dashboard, which I wasn't too happy about since there's only 200 miles on the odometer, but I guess they're bound to happen anyways.

I took up MC's idea on the stereo cover, but I took an old headunit and glued it to the front to make the illusion that I have a removable faceplate. It looks fake up close, but it does a pretty good job when looking from the outside-in.

Here's a question I have for you guys. I also got an alarm installed, and I'm wondering if I should put on the stickers that say "Warning: This vehicle is protected by so and so..." On one hand it deter the person since there's an alarm, but on the other, it's informing them that I might have something valuable inside and also tells the brand of the alarm. Any input to this? :compress:

·
on line
3,262 Posts
First: very cool extension on MCs Idea... the picture fooled me. I looked at the pics before i read it and said to myself.... thats friggin weird. Good Job

Second: I dont know if I would adversise the alarm... like you said it has its advantages and disadvantages... but then again if you have one of those blininking red lights that usually come with alarms than a car theif would surely already know that you have an alarm.... so i say, no need to advertise!

·
on line
6 Posts
Looks good. I was thinking of getting the same thing. Quick question... can you program the GPS while driving? I am deciding between the AVN6610 and the Pioneer AVIC-Z2, but I found out on the Pioneer, the X must be in park to program the GPS. Also, any glare on the screen during the day?

Thanks!

·
on line
1,574 Posts
ha, im stll scrating my head on the cover...
but with the alarm, see if it has a setting where it would cherp if you walk too closly to it. i would love that on mine. and itll scare the hell outta birds who decide they are jeep fans/Xhaters.

·
on line
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, I haven't been on for a while since my move to Texas

char-
I had the parking brake mod done so that I have full control of the gps while driving. If I'm not mistaken, I think the only things that are disabled when not in park are entering addresses and the movie mode; however, I found it's damn near impossible to enter addresses while driving! I end up parking to enter it, or I have a passenger do it. The screen doesn't have a glare, but it disappears in the sunlight. I found one minus in this unit in that when the cover opens to insert a disc, the panel moves to an angle where it's hard to see the screen options to close it. Overall I'm really happy with the unit though.

in a zone-
The alarm will chirp only on impact, door open, or vibration. For something that will detect if someone is just near it, you'd need some extra sensor which you probably could easily add on, but I'm already embarrassed enough when the siren blares from thunder or someone's stereo!

·
on line
1,574 Posts
HA, ya, my old 84 mustang set off all the alarms driving thru a parking lot. it was grand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts