Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed this Ebay UCA lift today and figured I would tell you all how easy it was and surprisingly quality stuff for $395 shipped!! I know its a rip off of TC but it was cheap enough for me to afford so I went for it. Everything went in smoothly and for anyone wondering about installing UCAs on a 2013 X, just know that the driver side rear UCA bolt that drives everyone crazy is installed so that you have room to pull it out without a crowbar or cutting it. Also this kit did not come with u bolts for the leafs so I bought a $19 universal lower/lift kit from autozone and it did the trick.

Oh and one more thing, you can see in the pictures the bump stops are installed upside down. This really threw me for a loop when I went to install the UCAs...luckily upside down and opposite side UCAs look strange.

This is the kit i bought:

Heres what it looks like installed:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put it on today and have an alignment scheduled for tomorrow morning. After I get that done I'll hit a few speed bumps to see. Although I dont think its going to be a problem because when it was on jack stands with the suspension at full droop there was still some space between the bump-stop and the coil bucket, albeit more of a sliver (less that the thickness of a penny). But if i had the bumpstops out I would have closer to 3/4 an inch.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
How much lift was it? Can you post the post alignment #s when you get it done?

I'm thinking about getting these uca's but am unsure if they provide more caster than stock uca's.

I already have a 1.5" or so lift and cam bolts and my caster is slightly below spec.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe the lift comes in either 2", 2.5", or 3" lift for the front. I got the 2.5" because that is what I think the max height the adjustable 5100 bilsteins can do. I plan on taking the spacers out when I buy the shocks later on. The Ebay ad claims that the UCAs keep the factory angles. Here are my alignment results:

As you can see my X is .3 and .4 above the max stock caster specs.

While I was at the alignment shop the tech showed me that the front eccentric washer was not turning with the bolt in 1 of the 4 cams. You could see that the washer had been gouged out by the bolt. I dont know if this is the result of my amature attempts at adjusting the camber or poor quality cam kit, probably a little of both. The tech said that they were adjusted to the max for camber and if I wanted to have less caster I would increase the camber so I just had him leave the caster slightly higher than spec.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is the CBC over big bumps?
I installed the UCAs at the same time as the spacers and never actually heard or felt what the CBC was like with just spacers....but as far as I can tell with hitting speed bumps going around 30mph I didnt feel/hear anything strange like clunking.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a question in regards to the ebay product. Seems like there are a lot of pretty cheap options for AAL kits/leveling kit. No brad names are given (link to one is blow). Just curious if these are quality parts. Or if it would be better to go with a known company (calamini, prg, etc).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/250998922211?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true
You can assume these kits are made in China. I just bought some spacers advertised as 2" lift. They measured out to be 1.02" thick and had ugly welds and one of the studs broke loose and spun while I was installing the spacer. For $46, I expected this kind of quality. That's why I bought a set of AAL from Rancho, not eBay and will buy UCA's from a reputable US mfg. I don't mind a spacer being a problem. It's not under a lot of stress. UCA's on the other hand - if they break, that's bad news... AAL made cheaply will just sag eventually.

BTW - The Rancho AAL are made in Columbia... I felt REALLY happy after opening the package... at least for a while - LOL

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I take it back... my coil buckets are cracked a bit from so much CBC form the 3" spacer. But CBC is going to happen whenever you don't have aftermarket UCA's with that size spacer. And as rocknhd stated, all poorly made in china, the AAL's are typically band-aides that will sag with time. It really all depends on what your end goal is.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I take it back... my coil buckets are cracked a bit from so much CBC form the 3" spacer. But CBC is going to happen whenever you don't have aftermarket UCA's with that size spacer. And as rocknhd stated, all poorly made in china, the AAL's are typically band-aides that will sag with time. It really all depends on what your end goal is.
Hey Chris,
We've got a solution to the cracked coil bucket. I'll show you what we did this weekend on the run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i guess for me, someone who is just getting into the wheeling world, who has very little experience, might be a good place to start. No only would it be and economical lift but also, help me gain some experience wrenching. Really just worried about buying something that is going to cause more damage to my X.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i guess for me, someone who is just getting into the wheeling world, who has very little experience, might be a good place to start. No only would it be and economical lift but also, help me gain some experience wrenching. Really just worried about buying something that is going to cause more damage to my X.
If you just want to gain experience wrenching, first, go slice your knuckles up and drag them through some grease, then some dirt. Cram yourself into uncomfortable positions and have someone pour dirt on your face. Wear shorts and bump your leg up against a halogen light that's been on for a while. Then, break a few critical bolts on your X and go to bed wondering how you're going to get to work the next day. :geek:

Reactions: TRex11

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you just want to gain experience wrenching, first, go slice your knuckles up and drag them through some grease, then some dirt. Cram yourself into uncomfortable positions and have someone pour dirt on your face. Wear shorts and bump your leg up against a halogen light that's been on for a while. Then, break a few critical bolts on your X and go to bed wondering how you're going to get to work the next day. :geek:

funny cuz it's true

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Can I quote this in my signature? Hilarious! :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
THIS WILL NOT SIG!!! Dammit!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Can I quote this in my signature? Hilarious! :eek:ccasion5:
As long as you put it in quotes with my username.

I WANT CREDIT!!!!!!

LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts