Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always liked the “windowshade” cover for the rear storage area. It does a good job of hiding whatever stuff is back there, and, even with tinted windows, it makes the truck look much cleaner even when empty.

It turns out that we hardly ever use our back seats (once in the past year, I think), and I’ve taken to leaving them down. That, of course, exposes the forward part of the storage space and whatever pile of stuff I have up there. So, with the able help of my wife and her sewing machine, I undertook to make a cover for the forward part of that space. Here’s a picture of its underside, clamped onto the garage door.

I had to buy some material (a lightweight cordura sort of thing, nylon, which is convenient because you can melt cut edges to keep them from fraying) and some crutch tips for ¾” aluminum tubes I had lying around. By measuring and cutting (and sewing) judiciously, I wound up with a very nice solution that’s fastened with velcro-like straps onto the windowshade at the aft end and S-hooks through the seat pull-up straps on the forward end. By making the length just shorter than the space with the seats sitting normally, the springiness of their cushions creates tension in the whole thing, stretching it nicely. There’s also an additional flap of material on the forward end to flop over the seat bottoms and clean up the look. And if you need to sit someone in the back seat, the S-hook connections can be released, letting the whole thing just hang down behind the seat backs without un-attaching it from the windowshade. Here’s a rather dark picture (black interiors do that) of it in action.

It’s surprising how much stuff you can get in there below the level of the windows with the back seats folded down, and this extra luggage cover allows all of it to be carried in privacy. I think we’re going to make another one that fits our new Cherokee. HPH

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a neat little idea you got there. Nice writeup too, I'm sure it will help others getting it done.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fabric store -- one of those places you'd normally never, ever go into. JoAnn Fabrics is one of the national chains, for example.

Doing the full cargo area has the advantage that you can pick a color instead of just going with black to match the windowshade. And those stores have patterns! Maybe little kitty-cats... ;) HPH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts