Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,
Have a permit for the white rim trail the first full weekend in March and am looking for some beta. Will be a solo vehicle hauling gear for group of mountain bikers. We plan on spending 2 or 3 days out there.

I own a basically stock '14 Pro-4x. I live in western colorado and have done some of the more mild local daily stuff... out-and-back to Crystal Mill, Hagerman Pass, transfer trail, etc but nothing this remote or multi-day.

Have a bunch of questions:
- bring extra gas or will filling up in Moab work?
- should I plan on airing down my tires? I do not have beadlocks.
- should I bring more than one spare and should I bring a high clearance jack?
- chains needed if the switchbacks down to (i.e Shafer) and up from the WRT are icy? Or is it too slick if there's ice/snow on the road?
- bring a come-along or just assume if I get stuck in the sand that someone will come along and pull me out eventually. :) I do have an aftermarket rear bumper with attachment points for shackles.

Any other advice for a solo early march trip around the WRT?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
570 Posts
The times I've done WRT, I've brought extra gas, but I've never needed it. Still, I'm a belts-and-suspenders kind of guy when you're out of radio coverage. I also definitely fill up before heading out.

I do air down and bring a compressor to air up again. Don't need to go too low, provided you have good tires in good condition. Beadlocks are definitely not required.

I've carried one full size spare, but again, never needed it.

I've never needed any sort of winching/comealong, but I've also never done WRT so early in the season. I'd carry both chains and the comealong, but I'd be pretty surprised if you needed either.

I've also carried a high-lift, but never needed it.

I'd bring a shovel, but you probably won't need it, and traction boards if you have them. It's a pretty mild trail, but you are outside of cell coverage for the most part, so self-reliance is key. I'd also bring a radio of some sort. HAM if you have a license, GMRS if you don't. I like having one radio with the riders and one with the driver at a minimum. I've got both swaybars and a pretty mild lift with 33" tires and I've never had any sort of problems

Hopefully, you have a night at White Crack. If you don't, definitely go check it out. It's something else. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Good morning everyone,
Have a permit for the white rim trail the first full weekend in March and am looking for some beta. Will be a solo vehicle hauling gear for group of mountain bikers. We plan on spending 2 or 3 days out there.

I own a basically stock '14 Pro-4x. I live in western colorado and have done some of the more mild local daily stuff... out-and-back to Crystal Mill, Hagerman Pass, transfer trail, etc but nothing this remote or multi-day.

Have a bunch of questions:
  • bring extra gas or will filling up in Moab work?
  • should I plan on airing down my tires? I do not have beadlocks.
  • should I bring more than one spare and should I bring a high clearance jack?
  • chains needed if the switchbacks down to (i.e Shafer) and up from the WRT are icy? Or is it too slick if there's ice/snow on the road?
  • bring a come-along or just assume if I get stuck in the sand that someone will come along and pull me out eventually. :) I do have an aftermarket rear bumper with attachment points for shackles.

Any other advice for a solo early march trip around the WRT?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Which direction are you doing the trail? Which campgrounds did you reserve?

We did an overnight trip I'll call "White Rim Lite". Just the easier eastern half of the trail, staying one night at Gooseberry, then back out mostly the same way (down via Shafer, returning via Potash). This was in May a few years back, the weather was about perfect (though windy) so my experience may not be all that relevant. The east side is easier going, but a stock 4x4 Xterra is plenty capable. It's not a really difficult road, just long and remote. Lots of slow going bumpiness... how are your rear leafs?

Spring weather in this area is unpredictable and variable. It could be really nice. It could be snowy and icy. Watch the weather. Sometimes the park service will close down the road for weather conditions.

You probably won't need extra fuel. But bring it anyway because you're a long ways from a gas station.

What kind of tires do you have? It'd be better if they're truck tires (not P rated) and if you encounter snow or ice it'd be better if they're at least somewhat capable in those conditions. Yes you should air down, no you don't need beadlocks to safely do that. IMO airing down tires is always a good idea when offroading. Better grip, better ride.

IMO no need for more than one spare, especially if you have decent tires and you air them down. Have a way to air back up, and a way to seal a puncture.

Shafer would be terrifying if icy. We drove up it during a rain storm one time, and that was sketchy enough with little rivers of mud coming down. Again, watch the weather. As far as chains, probably not a bad idea.

Unlikely you'd need a comealong, but if you have one, sure. If you have any traction boards, might not be a bad idea to bring those too.

Are you sleeping in the truck? Or a tent? We brought a tent but ended up sleeping inside the Xterra because it was so damn windy that setting up the tent would've been annoying and the ground (rock) was so hard at our site that we would not have been able to get the stakes in.

Hopefully you get some time to relax and enjoy the place. It can end up being a lot of driving and when we went our favorite times were just hiking and wandering around enjoying the views. It's an amazing area for sure!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It's pretty mild trail if the weather is decent. Your p4x will handle it just fine. Definitely air down. I drove it the first time on my oem 32" p-rated tires as well as 33" LT tires a few times. One spare's enough. Gas? Never brought extra, fill up in last gas station out of Moab. Im pretty sure I could have turned around at the end and ran it again and not run out of gas. Of course carry recovery gear but I can't see a come-along being very useful out there. I always carry my traction boards there but have never used them. Definitely take the drive down Lathrop Canyon to the river, that is fun;to drive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice everyone! 1 more question... safe air down pressure? I've got the Hankook dynapro ATM's that became OEM in 2015.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
thanks for the advice everyone! 1 more question... safe air down pressure? I've got the Hankook dynapro ATM's that became OEM in 2015.
I drop down to 20psi. I've found that for me that provides a decent ride and yet is flexible for most things.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I don't have the same tires, but my rule of thumb on our Xterras with LT E rated tires is

~34-36 PSI for day to day street driving
~25-28 PSI (deduct 25% from street) for off pavement driving on dirt roads and washboard to take the edge off
~20-22 PSI (deduct 40% from street) for rougher trails and sandier roads
~17-18 PSI (deduct 50% from street) for sand or grip on rocks

I have gone as low as ~12 PSI short term to get out of deep sand.

Low to mid 20's is what I'd recommend for the WRT on your stock tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did the WRT last week in my stock Xterra. We aired down to 20psi and had no issues. The trail is in pretty rough shape right now. Shafer switchbacks are currently closed so we came in off Potash Rd. There was some snow on Hardscramble Hill, not enough for concern though. Murphy's Hogback was in really bad shape in the beginning and at the top, lots of large holes to conquer. I didn't have any issues climbing it with proper tire placement. The evenings were rather chilly with lows down to 18 degrees. All in all it was a great trip with no issues. The xterra performed flawlessly and we got some really great pictures. For preparation I had a full size spare, tire repair kit, tire chains, and a snatch strap. From the point we got gas in Moab to exiting the trail we drove 144 miles and had just over a 1/4 tank of fuel left, I averaged just under 12 MPG. Enjoy your trip and make sure you have your permit handy and its signed by the trip leader.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Breck_Xterra thanks for the beta! We are doing the trail counterclockwise. Looks like Shafer is opened back up and its supposed to be almost 70 this weekend. Really appreciate all of the info, especially about Murphy's Hogback and the gas. I've decided to not take extra gas because I don't really have a good spot to store it on the outside of the vehicle. I am going to fill up at the trailhead with a spare can we're going to leave in a friends truck, so it sounds like I'm good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts