Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, was just on vacation in Austria for 3 weeks and upon my return home went to start up the X and warm it up a bit to make sure all was okay.

I put the truck into drive and it wouldn't move - the e-brake was released but seemed to still be grabbing. I know this can happen when it is really cold but our temperatures were about +5C in Vancouver at the time.

I guess the moisture and time sitting made it bind, a gentle/slight nudge on the gas and it made a loud sound and released, doesn't appear or sound to be grinding or rubbing, but the actuation on the e-brake lever seems softer/ does not grab as hard.

should I be concerned, I might tighten the cables per instructions on here, but any thing else i should be looking at?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It happens, especially in cold weather. Was your truck parked outside? I exercise my E-brake frequently, but I leave it off if I won't be driving the truck for a while (assuming it is parked on a level surface.)

I would just take the brakes apart and clean them thoroughly, as well as making adjustments to the cable and checking for dirt or corrosion.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Doesnt matter if it was wet or rainy, cause it's Vancouver! haha this is why I never leave my vehicle parked with the emergency brake... especially on the coast. most likely it just rusted on. I imagine your brakes might've made a bit of a squeal first time you stopped as well, just burning the rust off.

Here's a note. Everybody these days sets their emergency brake when they park their vehicle. If you have an automatic transmission this is completely unnecessary, as the park setting shoves a metal rod into the transmission and locks it.

If you have a manual transmission, and are NOT parked on a really really steep hill, also unnecessary, as the compression in the cylinders will hold the truck, as long as you leave it in first. I've driven for a long time and only used my emergency brake on steep hill and never had an issue.

Some heavy equipment and big trucks have a parking brake. it's like an emergency brake, but usually spring applied, air released. this means that if the engine dies, or if you turn it off, the vacuum is lost and the brakes apply themselves. It's that "PFFFFF" you hear when a semi stops. Your emergency brake is for slowing down if your normal brakes fail, it's why it's a full manual cable system. Not advised to leave it set when you park, as the brake pads can rust on (especially in vancouver) or much worse, the cable can rust into the housing.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hey Sproat, how about when you want to park your manual transmission vehicle with the engine running, like warming it up in winter or hopping out to spot for a buddy on the trail?

I use my handbrake when parking because it reduces strain on the parking pawl and avoids that annoying little "surge" of back and forth movement when I take my foot off the brake. It's nice to feel solid and have something else to hold my truck in place, especially if I'm on a steep hill (or steep portion of a trail.) I have actually seen parked automatic vehicles come out of Park and roll into something, causing damage. Setting the brake is a good idea, IMO.
But when parking for more than a day or two, I agree with you- leaving the hand brake set can lead to issues and even failure of the hand brake.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah most of the time i'm on flat ground, or it'll just roll into whatever depression it's in on the trail or whatnot. Kinda moot since my e-brake stopped working like 2 years ago. Tried to rig it back into action to no avail a few weeks ago.

Simply put, I just never leave the engine running. you know, pollution and all that ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts