Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Just thought I would let you know I ran my 05 Xterra on the dyno and it put down 210 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque @ the wheels on a mustang dynometer.

-Cowboy

oh yea...I have a K&N intake and a gibson cat back exhaust

·
on line
589 Posts
Isn't the usual loss around 15%-20%? With intake and exhaust this seems to be a loss of almost 25% right? Hrmmmm...

·
on line
259 Posts
SpaceCowboy said:
Guys,

Just thought I would let you know I ran my 05 Xterra on the dyno and it put down 210 hp and 235 lb-ft of torque @ the wheels on a mustang dynometer.

-Cowboy

that is a loss of over 20% through the drivetrain, shouldnt be that much loss, and 210 seems low compared to other info I have found, I know that sounds vauge, I'll try to re-find it the info, if I remember correctly I believe what I was finding was around 239 hp at the wheels and 252 lbs torque. the guy uploaded his graph and everything...

could your mods be hurting your power?

·
on line
259 Posts
Erick said:
Isn't the usual loss around 15%-20%? With intake and exhaust this seems to be a loss of almost 25% right? Hrmmmm...
we must have been posting at the same time, glad i'm not the only one this sounds funny to...

·
on line
735 Posts
Maybe he lives above 3500 ft elevation....

perhaps it was hot in the shop...

maybe the dyno was loaded differently...

dynos are only as good as their comparison to other engines run on the same day with similar settings. Like if you ran a bone stock one and then yours for a comparison. There are ways to jack the numbers around higher or lower.

My guess is that his X is putting out about 250 hp at his elevation and ambient air density conditions. definitely in the ballpark

·
on line
240 Posts
Dyno numbers are corrected for elevation, air temp, etc., thus the corrected sae hp.

Drivetrain losses through an automatic are no more than 20%. 210 is about right for stock.

Mustang dyno's always give lower numbers compared to Dynojet dynos. Approx. 10-15% lower. Dynojets are said to be more accurate.
With your K/N and catback, I'd be willing to bet a Dynojet would have shown you 225+ hp.

I'd be more interested in the area under the curve rather than the peak numbers.

·
on line
44 Posts
SpaceCowboy said:
Guys,

-Cowboy

don't mustang dyno's cut out @ 5k rpm? I uploaded my dyno results on here and got 241 hp 242 trq but those numbers where uncorrected and i haven't been back to get the corrected number. mine was done on a dynojet. here is a link to my results. http://www.thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3347&highlight=dyno

·
on line
631 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
driver X said:
heres the link to the guy that posted the 1/4 mile time and dyno sheet

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Xterra-Timeslip-8193.html
Well something is wrong with the data because it says 41 degress F and there is a guy in a sleeveless shirt.... Mustang dynos are supposed to rate lower than a dyno jet. I was also using 19.6 hp @ 55mph which is what the EPA had. If someone inputs this number wrong it will boost hp.

-Cowboy

Other cars on our dyno seem to be realatively lower.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
SpaceCowboy said:
driver X said:
heres the link to the guy that posted the 1/4 mile time and dyno sheet

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-Xterra-Timeslip-8193.html
Well something is wrong with the data because it says 41 degress F and there is a guy in a sleeveless shirt.... Mustang dynos are supposed to rate lower than a dyno jet. I was also using 19.6 hp @ 55mph which is what the EPA had. If someone inputs this number wrong it will boost hp.

-Cowboy

Other cars on our dyno seem to be realatively lower.

the dyno sheet is dated september, the time slip is dated march

1 - 13 of 13 Posts