Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4 times ive needed my winch my volts have dropped to about 8volts and my throttle response is cut. I had a thread going on about this and decided that the charging system couldnt keep up and that i needed to ground the winch to the body or the engine block. this changed nothing.

so i plan to have my starter, alternator, and battery checked out. this may lead me to buying a yellowtop and then using my current duralast gold as a secondary battery.

is my battery pretty much dead? if its not dead is it work to keep for a secondary?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I'm unclear on whether or not you are currently running dual batteries or not, but if you are, both batteries have to be exactly the same. If they are not, the batteries will draw off each other draining both of them (even when there is nothing drawing power off the batteries)

If you are only running on battery right now, it sounds like you have a battery that is going bad

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just one battery. Sounds like it's going bad to me too. And I suppose you indirectly answered my other question of could I use a duralast gold and a yellow top for dual batts. May just run a yellow top.

Could my alternator be the issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
1,113 Posts
is this from the moment you start pulling, it could be one of your batteries on its way out how old are they.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
Could my alternator be the issue?

Its possible just less likely.

How old is your battery?

Batteries usually only last 4-5 years under normal use. Since you have been putting it under heavy loads from winching, the usable life would likely be shorter

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's probably on 2 years old. Maybe 3. I do use the winch more than I should so that wouldn't be helping it. If tyre alternator checks out at autozone tomorrow then I'll get a new batt. It's a pretty slow start in the mornings too.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
I run a dual batt system.
two odysseys
and a charging / isolation system
I had to replace on failed battery and the new one went to the secondary (backup)position.
I moved the older secondary to the primary position(starting). the iso (3 position )system charges both in normal, center position isolates and runs/charges only the primary. emergency position slaves both together for "everything she's got captain"

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a dual batt system.
two odysseys
and a charging / isolation system
I had to replace on failed battery and the new one went to the secondary (backup)position.
I moved the older secondary to the primary position(starting). the iso (3 position )system charges both in normal, center position isolates and runs/charges only the primary. emergency position slaves both together for "everything shes got captain"
I am very very familiar with your setup! too bad its not for sale haha. but the plan is to use the old battery and a new one with a dual batt system. I plan to use one of those marine battery switches in the cab or maybe even under the hood. most of the time it would be both batteries until i decided to run my radio for a while in which case i would switch it to one battery and then start with the other and switch over to both to charge them. if that makes sense. a little more work but how often will i need to do all that switching... makes it a little cheaper than that kodiak system as well...

im thinking about buying a new yellowtop, fan clutch, and thermostat tomorrow... i got problems.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I am very very familiar with your setup! too bad its not for sale haha. but the plan is to use the old battery and a new one with a dual batt system. I plan to use one of those marine battery switches in the cab or maybe even under the hood. most of the time it would be both batteries until i decided to run my radio for a while in which case i would switch it to one battery and then start with the other and switch over to both to charge them. if that makes sense. a little more work but how often will i need to do all that switching... makes it a little cheaper than that kodiak system as well...

im thinking about buying a new yellowtop, fan clutch, and thermostat tomorrow... i got problems.
It IS for sale. His setup is the setup you can buy from Kodiak. I'll likely be purchasing the same setup soon. Last time I got a quote it was for about $860ish, including 2 odessy batteries.

would a blue top make much difference vs the yellow top for winching ?
Been asking myself this for a bit too. Seems like it's just less cca.

Yellow top and blue top are to designate extra marine terminals (top) or extra Gm style threaded terminals (side) thats the difference. Yellow vs blue has nothing to due with cca or reserve. That is all about the physical battery size (group). The big thing to look at is if the case is light grey or dark grey. Light grey is Deep cycle, also designated by a D in front of the group #. Dark grey is Starting only.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It IS for sale. His setup is the setup you can buy from Kodiak. I'll likely be purchasing the same setup soon. Last time I got a quote it was for about $860ish, including 2 odessy batteries.

Yellow top and blue top are to designate extra marine terminals (top) or extra Gm style threaded terminals (side) thats the difference. Yellow vs blue has nothing to due with cca or reserve. That is all about the physical battery size (group). The big thing to look at is if the case is light grey or dark grey. Light grey is Deep cycle, also designated by a D in front of the group #. Dark grey is Starting only.
Ive been somewhat designated as the secondhand king and have already reserved his 4.10 gears thats why i mentioned it being for sale haha. 860$ is a big chunk of change... even if it is worth it.

and that makes a lot of sense about the yellow vs blue. but i believe the yellow has 900cca and the blue has 800cca. regardless i think yellow is the way to go although if i had the blue i would never know the difference besides the physical appearance.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Ive been somewhat designated as the secondhand king and have already reserved his 4.10 gears thats why i mentioned it being for sale haha. 860$ is a big chunk of change... even if it is worth it.

and that makes a lot of sense about the yellow vs blue. but i believe the yellow has 900cca and the blue has 800cca. regardless i think yellow is the way to go although if i had the blue i would never know the difference besides the physical appearance.
I buy second hand Hawaiian shirts on ebay.
:)

·
on line
22,508 Posts

The bluetop is nice b/c the marine posts are solid lead pour with the regular terminals and can be used to hook up winches and a power inverter etc... They warn that the yellowtop side terminals are connected to the main terminals by a thiner strap that is not recommended for pulling 400A like a winch can draw, so everything has to be crowded up on the regular terminals.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
I figured that was the only difference with the blue top, like surf and snow said a winch will draw 400amps even a high output alternator will only put back 100amps during a pull. Its probably just the battery not able to keep up. I would just give a longer rest between pulls for now and make sure everything non essential to winching is turned off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts