Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and saw that the biggest tire one can get on a stock X is 265/70/17 or 285/70/17 with melt mod. But I saw some 285s still rub but can't see if the Duratracs do. Can anyone answer this? Opinions are welcome for tire choice too. But I really like the aggressive look and hear they're great in snow. And since I'm here in ND where we just got dumped on with over foot, it's needed. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I have 285/70/17 D-tracs on stock 17" SE rims. They did not initially rub with melt mod and 1.5" OME lift, however when I swapped fender liners last fall they started to rub (the new ones probably aren't melted enough), but just the tiniest bit when the suspension compresses during a tight turn. Just an annoyance rather than a concern.

You can probably slip in a suspension spacer and shackles for relatively cheap height gain, that will alleviate some rubbing. That said, if you switch to 16" rims you'll get better pricing on the tires, I paid nearly a grand for all four (plus a spare later).

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You sholud be okay with just a melt mod, if you are using stock rims. Aftermarket will vary. Search the tire sticky for more info, most combinations are in there.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I was looking in there and was mostly worried about the rub. I was looking at some off road oem to buy. Maybe I'll look into that. Because I just priced them and yeah looking at around 1200 for 4 with the 17s
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 285/70/17 D-tracs on stock 17" SE rims. They did not initially rub with melt mod and 1.5" OME lift, however when I swapped fender liners last fall they started to rub (the new ones probably aren't melted enough), but just the tiniest bit when the suspension compresses during a tight turn. Just an annoyance rather than a concern.

You can probably slip in a suspension spacer and shackles for relatively cheap height gain, that will alleviate some rubbing. That said, if you switch to 16" rims you'll get better pricing on the tires, I paid nearly a grand for all four (plus a spare later).
Hey ThePlasticOne how do you like the tires overall and how are they with the OME lift? Looking at that too. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Tire dimensions for the Duratrac's are identical to the Fierce Attitude MT's I have. Even with melt mod, you might get some rubbing on the frame in the rear and on the fender liner in the front when the tires are at full stuff. As said, it's more of a bother than a problem.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
They're a grand old time. If you take a corner too fast the ABS will get mad at you (but that's usually the case with 33s anyway). The only times the Duratracs have failed were on very slick hill climbs and packed ice. I did puncture one irreparably though, by driving over some light rail tracks that somebody had happened to drop their car keys into. Sadly the LT285/70/17 'tracs have kinda thin side walls so they can be delicate that way - the 16" range can come with more plys. Had to pay full cost to replace it since off-road and mud tires weren't covered by Town Faire Tire's road hazard warranty.

OME rides smooth - I almost hate to replace it, but I want more lift and articulation so I'm upgrading to Radflo fronts and new UCAs, undecided on the rears. I have the full front coilover and rear shock package along with OME leaf packs. I will probably be doing the OME HD leaf when I upgrade my rear - my suspension setup will be pretty similar to TKX's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. This forum is much better than the LS and LT forums I've been to for my Camaro! Can't wait to meet some of you next year at GONEMoab. Can't make this upcoming one.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts