Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to start another duratrac vs. Ko2 thread but I am in the middle of trying to decide between the ko2 and the, "c" rated duratrac. I'm not terribly tough on my tires and considering "c" rated because of the weight savings, with the X being my daily driver. As you know, the ko2s are only "e" rated and quite heavy. Im curious about the thrashed duratrac sidewalls you guys have experienced. Please elaborate on the situations causing sidewall failures. I won't be driving on job sites or in particularly rocky situations so I'm wondering if "c" rated duratracs can be a trustworthy investment. Where as, I know the ko2 can be trusted. I also know the duratracs have good ice and snow reviews, and now that the ko2s are a couple of seasons old, I would like to hear your personal accounts of ice and snow issues, good or bad, with both tires. Again, I really appreciate the time and thoughtfulness that you put into your responses. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm not trying to start another duratrac vs. Ko2 thread but I am in the middle of trying to decide between the ko2 and the, "c" rated duratrac. I'm not terribly tough on my tires and considering "c" rated because of the weight savings, with the X being my daily driver. As you know, the ko2s are only "e" rated and quite heavy. Im curious about the thrashed duratrac sidewalls you guys have experienced. Please elaborate on the situations causing sidewall failures. I won't be driving on job sites or in particularly rocky situations so I'm wondering if "c" rated duratracs can be a trustworthy investment. Where as, I know the ko2 can be trusted. I also know the duratracs have good ice and snow reviews, and now that the ko2s are a couple of seasons old, I would like to hear your personal accounts of ice and snow issues, good or bad, with both tires. Again, I really appreciate the time and thoughtfulness that you put into your responses. Thank you.

I've got the KO2s and you're right: They are heavy. I've got one winter on them in CO, so a fair amount of snow. Not a whole lot of ice, though. They were great in the snow. Even at the thickest, all I would need to do is put it in 4HI and I was golden. I could still fishtail them when I wanted to, but unless I was being reckless, that wasn't a problem.

I get about 15mpg now, but I also went up to the 285s, lifted 2 inches, and added sliders, front & rear bumpers.

I can't comment on the duratracs, let alone the C rated ones, but I've been exceptionally happy with my KO2s.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I have the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac E rated. They work well on snow and ice but not like dedicated winter tires. I was going for the BFGoodrich AT KO2 but way too expensive compared to the Duratrac. Ride quality is a bit harsh but tolerable. If I wanted a smooth and soft riding vehicle, I would gotten a used Cadillac. The Xterra is a truck so let us not treat it to be a car with nice comfy suspension.

If you can afford the BFG AT KO2 then get it. There are a lot of reviews on youtube about the Duratrac and KO2 on how they perform on snow and ice. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac E rated. They work well on snow and ice but not like dedicated winter tires. I was going for the BFGoodrich AT KO2 but way too expensive compared to the Duratrac. Ride quality is a bit harsh but tolerable. If I wanted a smooth and soft riding vehicle, I would gotten a used Cadillac. The Xterra is a truck so let us not treat it to be a car with nice comfy suspension.

If you can afford the BFG AT KO2 then get it. There are a lot of reviews on youtube about the Duratrac and KO2 on how they perform on snow and ice. Google is your friend.
Ko2s are cheaper here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts