Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm getting a new battery and want to upgrade to an AGM Group Size 34 because I'm upgrading for the winch I'm adding. I've already decided not to get the Optima Yellow Top, I understand it may be better than the bad ones that were being made from 2004-2011, but I just don't want to deal with it now.

So, I was leaning toward the DieHard Platinum when I ran into a surprise this weekend at Sam's, apparently Duracell has an AGM battery now, and it's available with reverse terminals! Check out the specs below (including Yellow Top for reference).

DieHard Platinum - for $184 @ Sears
Group: 34/78
CA @ 32F: 850
CCA @ 0F: 740
RC: 135

Duracell - for $156 @ Sam's
Group: 34R (Reverse terminals!)
CA @ 32F: 955
CCA @ 0F: 775
RC: 120

Extreme Odyssey - $309.95 (1-2 weeks)
Model: 34R-PC1500 (Reverse Terminals!)
CA @ 32F: 1050
CCA @ 0F: 850
RC: 135

Optima Yellow Top - for $200 @ Sam's
Group: 34/78
CA @ 32F: 870
CCA @ 0F: 750
RC: 120

Searching this forum and elsewhere I can't seem to find much about the Duracell's (although apparently very popular in the boating community). A quick google search shows that DieHard and Duracell AGM's are both made by East Penn/Deka. Anyone have one?

Also wondering, since the price between the Duracell and DieHard are similar, for winching purposes, is the Reserve Capacity more important or the CCA/CA? Seems like RC would matter more but I don't know, hence the question. It doesn't seem like RC has a linear relationship with winch run time (if you call this science).

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Keep in mind that Reserve Capacity is for "Engine Off" activities.
i.e. Partying to music in camp.

I tend to run my winch with the engine running.

But, at $156 that's a good price for what appears to be a good battery.

My Diehard Platinum had been put through the wringer and replaced for free at 3+ years of service. Does Sams offer the same "guarantee" as Sears?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Diehard Platinum are made my Odyssey. Their Gold series are made my Deka I believe. That's why people like the Platinums. You're basically buying the Odyssey for a few less bucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You can get the optima battery from Advanced Auto with a 30% off online coupon for $150, FYI.

No experience myself, but Advanced has some great online coupons, and they'll even install it for you at the store of your choice (if you're lazy like me)! :D

Sn0

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So total out the door would be less than 200 for the diehard and 250 for the oddessy. Hmm diehard and stillen tiedown or oddessy and no tie down lol. I'm considering option a.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Haha, I like how the the cosmetic accessory is weighing into this decision!

Not saying I wouldn't do that too, it's just humorous!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diehard Platinum are made my Odyssey. Their Gold series are made my Deka I believe. That's why people like the Platinums. You're basically buying the Odyssey for a few less bucks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Maybe my original statement was a half truth. But yes Odyssey and DieHard Platinums are both made by the same company, EnerSys.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Diehard Platinum had been put through the wringer and replaced for free at 3+ years of service. Does Sams offer the same "guarantee" as Sears?
The guarantee is free replacement for 36 months. The DieHard is 48 months. To me they're similar enough I don't think I'd let that weigh into the decision in this case.

At the bottom of the sams club listing it has a list of states its available in, CA. is not one of them :(

Diehard is where iM leaning.
I'm in VA, so either is still an option for me! :)

·
on line
2,362 Posts
At the bottom of the sames club listing it has a list of states its available in, CA. is not one of them :(

Diehard is where iM leaning.
Contains substance known to cause cancer in the state of California.
Doesn't both the people in the rest of the world.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts