Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been searching and reading...the answer may be here but I can't find it and figured I'd just ask.

I'd like to repaint a bunch of trim pieces with Duplicolor flexible bumper paint, FB109, dark charcoal. Front and rear bumper corners, wiper fascia, center pieces on both front and rear bumpers, side moldings, door handles, metal center part of the rear bumper sheet where the rear license plate mounts...even the trim around the windows. its all looking pretty worn out.

can I use the Duplicolor Flexible Bumper Paint on ALL those parts?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Get Meguiars ultimate black and give a few coats. Will problably look new

i've been searching and reading...the answer may be here but I can't find it and figured I'd just ask.

I'd like to repaint a bunch of trim pieces with Duplicolor flexible bumper paint, FB109, dark charcoal. Front and rear bumper corners, wiper fascia, center pieces on both front and rear bumpers, side moldings, door handles, metal center part of the rear bumper sheet where the rear license plate mounts...even the trim around the windows. its all looking pretty worn out.

can I use the Duplicolor Flexible Bumper Paint on ALL those parts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has Anyone used the bumper paints out there? I want to paint mine black, but also don't want it to look bad. Any thoughts or input on this?
It isn't an issue of oxidation and looking old, I want to paint the bumpers only, black.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I wasn't too impressed with Duplicolor's bumper paint.

Even though I sanded them pretty good prior to painting, after a couple months I already had flakes chipping off in the front. The back wore off after a couple more months. I would suggest Krylon Plastics or Rustoleum's new "Paint for Plastics"

·
Registered
810 Posts
Why not just use plasti-dip?

·
on line
2,868 Posts
Many of us have used it, I've read mixed results. I live near a granite quarry, lots of stones on the road - plus many bugs in the air here. I need to refinish mine. Some owners have reported a purple look to the finish (mine looked grey - a bit faded now).

I grew up in a family of body/fender/painters, so I picked up a bit of experience there. Next time I finish it, I'll go buy the professional supplies and try that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't like it.
All the prep in the world (def not new to prep and paint in any way) removed and sprayed the plastic on the step sides. Several light coats. Great dry time. One and a half days later without even being stepped on (no one else has gotten in my car and i never step on them) and i have several half dollar size lifting and flaking spots. Now that these will probably clean off like they were never there, easier than plasti-dip, i have sanded and scuffed steps. What do i do next?
I was thinking if i wanna go black, i can do engine or caliper high temp hardcore paint. that should be durable enough to get stepped on a few times. Suggestions?

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I don't like it.
All the prep in the world (def not new to prep and paint in any way) removed and sprayed the plastic on the step sides. Several light coats. Great dry time. One and a half days later without even being stepped on (no one else has gotten in my car and i never step on them) and i have several half dollar size lifting and flaking spots. Now that these will probably clean off like they were never there, easier than plasti-dip, i have sanded and scuffed steps. What do i do next?
I was thinking if i wanna go black, i can do engine or caliper high temp hardcore paint. that should be durable enough to get stepped on a few times. Suggestions?
If you want black, just hit them with Rustoleum bed liner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts