Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been covered (and I think it has), but I can't find a how-to on this. I remember something about someone putting some primer called bulldog, but I was thinking I could just sand it pretty good and spray it??[/i]

·
on line
750 Posts
If you mean the plastic stock bumper, you might want to check out Krylon's line of spray paints that are specifically made for plastics. I've seen them at Home Despot.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BioTerra said:
If you mean the plastic stock bumper, you might want to check out Krylon's line of spray paints that are specifically made for plastics. I've seen them at Home Despot.
that is exactly what I'm talkin about

·
on line
90 Posts
Has anyone Herculined their bumpers? I've seen rocker panels, and now door handles, but not any bumpers yet. I'm not sure that it would stick to the plastic OEM bumper?

·
on line
316 Posts
XVTer said:
seems to work on my plastic grille. Don't see why it wouldn't work on the bumpers:

As far as painting the bumpers, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you prep it correctly.
Hows that look installed on your X?

·
on line
90 Posts
Thanks TXterra...I'm still on the fence about it. It's great on Midnightblue's grill, but I can't decide now if the whole bumper is a bit overkill.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XVTer said:
seems to work on my plastic grille. Don't see why it wouldn't work on the bumpers:

As far as painting the bumpers, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you prep it correctly.
when you say prep, does that include just sanding it down, or sanding it, primer, etc...???

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mcampana said:
Heres the thing. You can ask 8th man, and he will tell you himself. He did a piss poor job of herculining the truck. I saw him at ecxc this past year and he even said the steps in back turned out pretty badly. If you do it right, i bet it would turn out great.
yea I really want to do this mod because I'm getting a shrock-clone rear bumper (which is black) and would love to get it for the front also. I just don't know if I can just sand it then apply the duplicolor deb lining stuff, or have to sand it primer, etc...

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mcampana said:
I dont think you need primer. My buddy works at a body shop and painted my grill for me. And so far, no fading, flaking or anything. I say go for it. Take your time and do it right, you should be ok. And if your looking for a REAL EDUCATED ANSWER, then call a damn body shop and ask!
funny you should say that, I actually sent duplicolor an email asking them, plus sent a PM to 8th man, so we'll see what happens. First things first though, I gotta get that rear bumper :cheers:

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I almost want to do this to my front bumper, because the grill ended up looking so good.

But, I am about to order my Shrocks front bumper, so it would seem like a waste of time.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mcampana said:
Where you getting the rear bumper? And id hope duplicolor would get back to you with a reply.
there is a guy on ENCXC that makes them (I'm getting my sliders from him also) I'll see if I can get some pics of his work; top notch stuff, plus there's no wait

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I actually got in touch with Duplicolor through email last night and got a response today (great customer service). Anywho here is the email I got

Will,

Thank you for your inquiry. Dull, dry, and clean are the keys for proper
adhesion. I suggest de-glossing the surface by sanding to create a profile.
Clean with acetone and a lint free cloth and then apply our Self Etching
Primer # DAP-1690. Follow this with our Truck Bed Coating.

If you have any additional questions, please ask.

Thank you,
Jared

1 - 20 of 22 Posts