Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking this forum (and others) for a week and finally have decided to buy a new X (OR). I plan on upgrading to 285/75-16s so the stock meats will be throwaway. Hoping the money I save will pay for a 2" lift.

Will 285/75-16s fit stock rims?

If yes, I'll get the dealer to swap the stock rubber and issue a credit.
If no, I'll order new rims&tires and get the dealer to swap wheels and issue a bigger credit.

Can I drive safely on the bigger tires until I lift my X?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yest 285's will fit stock rims... BUT when reading up on the specs of the285 tires they call for at least a 8" wide rim, (even though they definitely fit), our rms are 7" wide. So a dealer may not swap the tires out because of the "safety issue." Even some aftermarket tire and rim shops dont want to mount them on stock wheels. If you order new rims first off make sure they fit, secondly make sure they have the same backspacing as the stock rims (this is if you dont have a lift). One guy on this site mounted 285's to new rims with a different backspacing and had to switch to smaller tires because they rubbed his fenders so bad. Again if you plan on lifting it then there shouldnt be a problem with the backspacing off a little bit.

Another option is the 255/85/16 tires. they are a little taller, but also a little skinner, so they will definitely mount to the stock rims.

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
willgr1 said:
yes they will fit, but they may rub so you'll have to do the "melt mod" to fix the rubbing issue. this mod can be found in the how-to section.
If I do a 2" lift, do I have to worry about 285/75-16s rubbing without this mod?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts