Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a rear bumper that allows you to carry two spares? I have seen plenty of foreign expedition vehicles with dual tire carriers, but I cant picture it on our trucks. I'm looking for a unique rear bumper, and something like this might just fit the bill.

Does anyone know of an X with a dual carrier, or does someone have some photoshop skill that could mock one up?

Thanks,
Rocco

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's not something anyone has attempted yet, and I think the reason has to do with the way most aftermarket (and self-made) bumpers are implemented. If you look around, there are very few folks who replace the rear corner plastic ... and if all you're replacing is the center section, the width is such that you're probably not going to have room for more than one 'thing' on the swing arm - be it a tire, a couple of jerry cans, or a storage box.

If you're shooting for more room (and only replacing the center), then you're going to have to cantilever both the pivot and the latch outboard, over the plastic corner pieces ... or just sign up to the design and integration required to replace those pieces with fabricated bumper corners. I think there are one or two of this type (cantilevered pivot/latch) of bumper out there, and I know there are a couple of bumpers with fabricated corners.

Take a look around for some "dual swing arm" bumpers ... I know Maxterra has started making a bumper with a larger swing arm on it, to carry jerry cans, and I think Xterra4ever has a similar setup but with fabricated corners. You may be able to adapt their designs for a 2nd spare mount.

Or keep a single mount and put the 2nd underneath in the stock location ... I know quite a few folks do that, if they want the 2nd spare for solo desert travel.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The members projects you mentioned are what got me thinking about this in the first place :thumbup:. It may sound like overkill but I was actually thinking of this mod for the ability to carry 3-4 extra tires, two on the arm + one on the roof and/or one underneath. I want to take some serious expeditions eventually and am building my truck with month long trips in mind.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I was thinking about that, too. I saw one on a LC or Defender or something and thought it looked cool. I think you'd run into a couple of issues

Two 285/75/r16s next to each other would block the tail lights for sure.
You could solve this by intigrating lights into the bumper itself, I guess.

I haven't measured, but I think the two tires next to each other would stick out past the edges of the truck.

Here are some pics of when we went wheeling last weekend. I'd get some better ones for you but it's raining right not.

Dual arm Hefty bumper w/ jerry can holders

Open

View out of the back.

You can see both of my tail lights

·
on line
10,980 Posts
If you can tolerate the smell/mess of a tire inside (newer is probably worse for smell than older - older worse for mess) ... and have the extra room, then I found my 255x85r16 Toyo spare fit almost perfectly up against the side of the back hatch area. I put two tiedowns in the track, one at the front, and the other to the rear; then ran one ratchet up and over the circumference of the tire, and another in a triangle to the inboard side of the tire - from the rear tiedown, up to the ceiling tiedown on the same side, then down to the front tiedown.

It may be more load than the track is really intended for, I'm not sure; but while it was in there, it was solid and didn't even squeak or rattle (no movement). Plus of that location is that it pretty well minimizes rearwards obstruction - only way to get less would be to have it flat, underneath or on the roof.

I'll admit, I do like the look (of two spares on the back) as well, but I have to question the utility a bit ... where are you going to be going, that you're honestly wanting that many spares? Probably not anywhere in North America - certainly not anywhere in the US ... are you bringing equivalent drive-train spares as well? What about equivalent gas supply? Really not trying to dig here - just bring up some points to consider (you probably already have) ... this is probably a conversation we could spend hours on, at a M&G sometime, so no need to derail ...

There have been a couple of bumpers so far, that had more 'stuff' integrated into the back end, that I have liked the best ... 08WhiteX's is one, but I believe he kept his rear plastic corners; Matrix12480 (numbers may be off, sorry ... also goes by Disco Dan) did another one, really clean plate bumper that fully wraps around and would have room for a larger (or two smaller) swing arm - but he didn't leave enough body clearance and has since cut off the outermost part of his corner pieces; and Xterra4Ever's is the third ... also a fully wrapped plate bumper, but it has struck me as potentially quite heavy.

I'd love to see someone do something like this for a fully wrapped rear bumper on a 2nd Gen (original credit to Casper/Soccerbrace from Ronin ... I lifted the sketch from a thread where they were talking bumper ideas for 1st Gens):

... it's kind of like what Julionix is having done for his rear; though there are some things about his, that give it a very different look from the sketch above.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about them not fitting side by side either, but I considered mounting one higher then the other on swing arms. The offset would allow the two tires to sit farther in and maybe not block the lights.

SkiBum your right its likely not going to be in north America. I will need all the space in the back for spare parts and equipment, that is why im trying to free the interior of tires. My wife and I plan to do three month expeditions once the truck is fully built YEARS from now. She is a teacher and we plan to spend her summers off exploring with the truck.

Here is a pic of a dual carrier that doesn't look bad:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...t3pesMQEY1I9Ihj22IZMB1zd4mzzjM7Ff3kd9ruhWv-jM

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I love the tube bumper for the 2nd gen, there is just one or two guys making them for retail right now I believe.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yeah I agree with what was said earlier...I think two spares on the swing arm is overkill. If you really want to have extra spares, one on the swing arm and one on the roof I think would be enough. The tires we use are built to be rugged and take lots of abuse. I really doubt you'll need to have that many spares. Just get a good rugged tire that you know you can trust. I think two spares is plenty.

On another note, if you really ARE trying to fit two on the rear tire carrier, even if you staggered them so you don't block the tail lights, you're talking about losing your visibility out of the rear window, which is illegal (at least in my state).

I mean, to each his own, do whatever you please, I just personally think its a bit overkill.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Too many spares. That amount of weight on your ass end would be way too much for a spring pack to handle. If you upgraded the spring pack and you don't have the tires on, your looking at a lot of rake and a hard ride.

Also they would have to be set on a dual swing out. Putting that much outbound weight on a single swing arm and a single hinge would prob be way too much for it as well.

I understand the uniqueness of your thoughts, but it's just not practical unless your running Baha alone where you could blow two tires and still have a couple hours left before you saw another soul.

If you blow through two tires while wheeling a IAF X, in a day, weekend, or even a week, your prob doing somehow wrong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
340 Posts
@plastic one
LMAO, reminds me of a Xcountry trip on my BMW motorcycle in the '70's...
1st couple of states I rode with a Harley guy and his shadowing parts van. Priceless.

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Good ideas but reality....its way overkill.

You won't need all those spares if you wheel smart and responsibly.

And not to mention, it'll affect your MPGs greatly to probably 4 mpgs.....so you'll have to carry much more fuel to compensate.....which will also decrease mpgs too....so its a lose - lose situation

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Back on track....Dual Tire Carrier NOT 4 tires.

Why not 4 spares...on the roof??
Rooftop tent. I think you guys are thinking in the wrong direction with this.

I took off the stock spare location so I can mount an air compressor or second battery under there. The roof is out because I will use that area for a tent. The interior is out because I need room for my mini-horse of a dog and equipment. That doesn't leave a ton of options, and i'm really looking for a way to carry 2 tires.

The 4 spares would only ever happen if the expedition vehicle became a bug-out vehicle.

Back on track..... It doesn't seem like the Defender is that much wider than our trucks yet they make a dual carrier work. I'm going to do some measuring when i'm cleaning the truck today to see what might work.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I like the idea. Replace the whole rear bumper with duel swing arms, relocate the lights to under the tires on in the bumper so they are still visable and replace the leafs (or put in airbags if you don't plan to rock crawl) and your suspension will be ok.

If you plan to go drive around South America (example) for a couple of months on end there are definitly roads where you might want/need a couple of spares. It's not like driving around the US where you need 1 and can always order a spare and have it turn up the next day at any town you get to. On a trip like you have in mind multiple spares is a good idea because you never know where on when you can replace/repair a flat.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the idea. Replace the whole rear bumper with duel swing arms, relocate the lights to under the tires on in the bumper so they are still visable and replace the leafs (or put in airbags if you don't plan to rock crawl) and your suspension will be ok.

If you plan to go drive around South America (example) for a couple of months on end there are definitly roads where you might want/need a couple of spares. It's not like driving around the US where you need 1 and can always order a spare and have it turn up the next day at any town you get to. On a trip like you have in mind multiple spares is a good idea because you never know where on when you can replace/repair a flat.
^^^^Exactly^^^^^

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Track width of our trucks is 61.8". Two 33" tires would be 66" so only stick out 2" on each side of the rear, call it 2.5" to give a 1" gap between the tires. Side mirrors sick out more than that (6+" ??) so you wouldn't be any wider than the truck already is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts