Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First impressions are that each panel is pretty beefy. I won’t be strapping particularly heavy items to them, but they would definitely handle some amount of weight. I generally don’t like having heavy items above the height of the rear seats for safety reasons though.

The panels are mounted by suspending them from the metal cargo hooks beside the rear side windows, and then attaching the bottom legs to the window plastic ledge. There were both bolts and screws included. I went with the screws.

Assembly and installation were pretty simple. Align the bolt hole on the panel with the hole on the legs, and bolt them up. I placed the leg behind the panel with the feet in front for easy removal if needed. You could do it any way you wanted. Dephep had recommended to loosen and spin the hangar hook 180 degrees so that the opening faces inwards. That makes the panel easier to mount. I made one small addition before mounting, and that was to place a strip of cut clear rubber hose where the panel connects with the hanger. Probably overkill, but I just wanted to avoid any possibility of metal-on-metal rattling.

The cargo hook goes into the very middle slot on the upper row. There will be four slots either side of the hook when installed (counting upper row slots only). I had actually planned to black out the rear windows entirely and store a blanket behind each panel, but some test fitting revealed that it was not going to work out – at least not for the thick wool blankets that I carry. There was just not enough space behind the panel for that.

Because of the nature of a solid slotted panel, it is not possible to do a proper PALS weave when mating the MOLLE pouches to the panel. Only PALS to PALS webbing can achieve that. However, you can get pretty close on many pouches, and I don’t think any of my pouches are going anywhere. You do need to consider the size of items being placed in the pouch. Not all items are going to be able to fit into the pouch mouth due to proximity to the ceiling. Wherever that was a concern (like with sustainment pouches), I attached them on the second row down. Here’s a couple of pics of the rear of my driver’s side panel:

I did install the pouches before screwing the legs down – easier that way. Blackhawk Speed Clips can also be made to work, but not properly, and not for any real load bearing requirement. You can see a single admin pouch held by Speed Clips in the above pic. I used one sustainment pouch (the large one), two SAW 200 round pouches (middle), and then whatever I could find kicking around on the ends. I will probably end up removing the smaller pouches. If you have Raingler nets, you might have to use the panels as attachment points if the cargo hook lacks sufficient space. That’s what I did for ceiling net.

From the outside, it is pretty hard to clearly see the panels because of the window tint. That can vary depending on lighting conditions of course. View out of the passenger side rearmost window is restricted, but I’ve been driving with that installed for a week now and barely notice it. Obviously, there’s no concern on the driver’s side as you can’t see out of that window anyway. I really like these panels, and I’m happy I installed them. :) Here’s the rest of the pics showing the completed installation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looking at this setup, I was thinking, if you used large wing nuts on the backside of the panel where it attached to the leg, you could unbolt it by hand and swing the panel up a little to get to any straps on the backside a little easier.
Really like this setup. I have been looking for options to mount some cargo pouches in the rear, and this looks really good.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at this setup, I was thinking, if you used large wing nuts on the backside of the panel where it attached to the leg, you could unbolt it by hand and swing the panel up a little to get to any straps on the backside a little easier.
Really like this setup. I have been looking for options to mound some cargo pouches in the rear, and this looks really good.
Yup - you could easily swap out the hardware. When I was going to use the area behind for storage, that was my plan, but the wingnuts or knobs were going to be on the outside. But once I realized I could not store what I wanted behind them, I just installed them as-is. I would not be surprised if I change the hardware later to something that unbolts faster and without tools.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Dual Dephep MOLLE panels installed

Yup - you could easily swap out the hardware. When I was going to use the area behind for storage, that was my plan, but the wingnuts or knobs were going to be on the outside. But once I realized I could not store what I wanted behind them, I just installed them as-is. I would not be surprised if I change the hardware later to something that unbolts faster and without tools.

How about this, (this is what I'm going to work on next week)...
Longer bolts to connect the bracket to the panel with a lock nut between the bracket and panel to keep the bolt from spinning. Then I can use a wing it to attach the panel to the bracket. Makes it easy and quick to take the wing nut off and swing the panel out to strap stuff up then tighten back on without tools. Getting to the back of the panel while it's installed is impossible. I also plan to install washers/nuts on the inside of the plastic trim panel to keep it solid, I have to remove it all anyways to mount a CO2 tank and jump box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ T-REX - that sounds pretty decent. Post pics if you get it done before me.

@ Bosco - zero rattling as there is no metal to metal contact. See the OP where I use a small piece of hose between the panel and the metal mounting hook.

·
Registered
248 Posts
@ Bosco - zero rattling as there is no metal to metal contact. See the OP where I use a small piece of hose between the panel and the metal mounting hook.
And this is what happens when i skim through... Sorry it does look greaat though especially with the cargo nets
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That looks pretty good. My only critique is that it would be nice to somehow push it back further in towards the window to maximize that space. I just know when I've got the X fully loaded, every extra inch of space counts. But, I'm not sure how you'd be able to mount it because you'd be pushing the dephep panel further in than the cargo hook.

Regardless, that looks really, really good. Tempting...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks pretty good. My only critique is that it would be nice to somehow push it back further in towards the window to maximize that space. I just know when I've got the X fully loaded, every extra inch of space counts. But, I'm not sure how you'd be able to mount it because you'd be pushing the dephep panel further in than the cargo hook.

Regardless, that looks really, really good. Tempting...
You can push it back more. I wanted pouches that could also hang lower than the panel though, and pushing it back more makes that tougher. I also used the holes that I had made during the blanket test fit fiasco. So there's that... :)

·
Registered
2011 Xterra S (6MT)
211 Posts
What a great product. I'm gonna have to pick up a set of these soon. Install looks great!

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
I just replaced the hardware on mine: two 1/4x20 wing nuts, two 1/4x20x1.5" machine screws, four 1/4" washers.

I inserted the bolt from behind the bracket pointing towards the inside of the truck. Slide a washer/nut on the bolt and tightened it down to the bracket. Then worked the panel onto the bolt and snugged it down with a washer and wingnut. Nice and solid and whenever I need to add/remove/relocate pouches it is a quick and tool-less endeavor.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just replaced the hardware on mine: two 1/4x20 wing nuts, two 1/4x20x1.5" machine screws, four 1/4" washers.

I inserted the bolt from behind the bracket pointing towards the inside of the truck. Slide a washer/nut on the bolt and tightened it down to the bracket. Then worked the panel onto the bolt and snugged it down with a washer and wingnut. Nice and solid and whenever I need to add/remove/relocate pouches it is a quick and tool-less endeavor.
Cool. Did you end up finding screws, or going with the bolts to attach the feet to the plastic? Now that mine is all squared away, I want to reconfigure. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts