Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my dual battery install, based on info from

Great DIY info there. Mine will be different in some ways.

Part 1: relocate Power Steering reservoir.
2 hoses need to be replaced and made longer:
1) Return Hose - 9/16” ID, 15/16” OD; P/N Gates 85965F
Can’t find it online, Salt Lake distribution for OReilly has a 50ft length but they don’t want to sell it by the foot, only 50ft whole… about $250
21” needed from the above link

2) Supply Hose, (3/8” ID, 11/16” OD; P/N Gates 350010F - regular Power Steering Hose)
Can be bought in 25ft length from Amazon for $40

Can old and new (same) hoses be joined? Currently trying that option to save time. It was $24 for each new hose, using couplers to join to old, I would prefer longer hoses if I could find them, that 9/16 hose is the one jar to find.

since the new single hose has to be routed as opposedto go in a straight lime, joining 2 stock hoses may be either ok or be too short.

Part 2: side by side dual batteries (after moving power steering reservoir)
Battery (now front) has to be moved slightly and turned. That will be the starter battery, 35 size, Napa which I have already from warranty replacement. Lead acid, I have it, should use it.

Second battery, Aux or load, used with car off, is Optima Blue. It is an shorter in height, something that matters because of the step higher for the inner battery (raised bottom contour). AGM battery, will help prolong the life of the starter battery. In the past 10 years I have worn out lead acid batteries within a year, even with battery conditioners. Desert heat doesn’t help.

One could get a portable battery from Amazon, there is a variety, one day I may try one bigger than my 330Wh (advertised)… like 1000Wh or 1500Wh, but I want to my trust into 43lb of AGM chemistry

I will add photos as things happen.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Close view
Higher location for better gravity feed
Car Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Far view
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive battery Automotive design Automotive exterior

step 1 done. Stock extra hoses joined to old. Natural winding in the hoses. A little cut off
Sleeve Glove Safety glove Synthetic rubber Personal protective equipment

3/8 and 5/8 barbed connectors on the inside, and tube ties on the outside

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Showing in the picture above is the plastic connector joining the 2 stock hoses.
Glue on the connector, pushed into the hose, 5/8 inch "heater core connector" from Autozone/O'Reilly/etc, it's a "Help" brand. Then the 2 different kinds of clamps are holding the outside -- mechanic approved setup. The mechanic preferred this setup to a plain hose (which was impossible to find anyway - the 9/16" ID which may actually be 5/8" ID). Using 2 stock hoses has the advance of the formed edges and a "smoother flow" without introducing bends and potential present or future kinks.

The original Nissan hoses, the wider one on top with 5/8 connector joining 2 hoses, and the bottom hoses needs a 3/8 connector
Hood Automotive design Gesture Automotive lighting Thigh

The metal trays are now bent, from 16 gauge steel, after being cardboard modeled.

Next step is making a 13.5" by 10.25" cage bottom, made from 1.5 inch angle steel (1.5 inch and 1.5 inch meet into a corder shape). This will be the holder for the formed metal trays, slightly different in size, accommodating
1) 35 size Napa starter battery
2) 24 size Optima blue deep discharge battery

The scrap metal looks rough but is new metal and can be cleaned up in a few minutes, powder coated, unless it becomes a throwaway prototype only and is replaced with stainless steel. This is 16 gauge regular (cold rolled) steel, still easy to work with for prototype, but may end up being a final version with stronger support under it.
Metal and cardboard templates for fitting
Brown Rectangle Material property Tints and shades Beige

1 1/2 inch zinc plated angle, 14 gauge thick -- will hold the above plates
Rectangle Font Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery removed
1) corrosion on 2015
2) cleaned with baking soda paste (minimal water with baking soda), rubbed on with toothbrush
3) etcher primer coated for now
Motor vehicle Paint Automotive exterior Pink Bumper

Pink Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

Motor vehicle Light Hood Automotive tire Gas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts