Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a write up on how to make your own dual battery setup, however, does anyone know of a manufactured complete kit for the X?

Thanks

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have never seen a dual battery setup specificaly for the X, but I am sure one could be made with out much trouble. Only problem is, one of the batteries will have to be located in the back some place as there is no room for a second battery under the hood.

·
on line
1,739 Posts

I bit of Photoshop work with the full-sized Optima yellow top. I'm thinking that I'd have to build a bigger battery tray, move the little 1/4" alumium tubing near the radiator and build a custom wire harness. I'd like to come up with a battery about 20% smaller and I'd feel alot better about jamming these things together.

:cheers:

·
on line
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you could figure this issue out I'm sure a good number of folks would implement it, thanks and good luck.

·
on line
197 Posts
PaulXyZ said:

I bit of Photoshop work with the full-sized Optima yellow top. I'm thinking that I'd have to build a bigger battery tray, move the little 1/4" alumium tubing near the radiator and build a custom wire harness. I'd like to come up with a battery about 20% smaller and I'd feel alot better about jamming these things together.

This is just putting the batteries in parallel, which would in theory double your A/Hr capacity. This isn't recommended.

Dual battery setups typically isolate the two batteries, using one for accessories, the other for starting. See:
http://98.199.73.91/dual_battery.html

Nice photoshop work btw...;-)

·
on line
5,614 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Kodiak Industries Inc.
Yawan Smith
408-591-1029

Worth a call.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
krucam said:
Nice photoshop work btw...;-)
Thanks, it's hard to photoshop the isolation kit! I've seen the red top for running and the blue tops for deep cycle use. I've got to pull the stock battery out of storage and see if I can set it along side this Optima before I commit to attempting to make the change. What you can see are the winch power cables which I'll have to deal with.

Wonder if I could put something where the spare tire hangs ... sure would be a mess to service.

·
on line
853 Posts
PaulXyZ said:

Paul,

If you're looking for an AGM battery that is a bit smaller than the size of Yellow Top that you currently have (so you could put 2 side by side) you may want to check out the Sears Platinum Die Hard that I recently picked up. It has about the same Reserve Capacity (and slightly higher CCA) than the smaller Yellow Tops that I know at least some folks (Jake, for example) are using. That would be the one with the correct terminal orientation, a bit smaller than yours, but no need to bend that positive connector like you had to. One thing to consider, that is a lot of weight to put in that one corner, those suckers are heavy. Will the bracket support it, especially the way you drive (j/k)?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
One of the reasons I was looking to go with the Optima batteries is that they're so darn light. I don't know if the weight savings would be 50% but it would be close.

I'm debating on finding some smaller sealed batteries and mounting two of them where the spare tire is - who needs that thing anyways? The PITA is going to be running a heavy (and expensive) lenght of cable up the frame rails to the stock battery/alternator area.

I'm thinking a large motorcycle battery or two ... or three .... :laughing6:

·
on line
853 Posts
PaulXyZ said:
One of the reasons I was looking to go with the Optima batteries is that they're so darn light. I don't know if the weight savings would be 50% but it would be close.

I'm debating on finding some smaller sealed batteries and mounting two of them where the spare tire is - who needs that thing anyways? The PITA is going to be running a heavy (and expensive) lenght of cable up the frame rails to the stock battery/alternator area.

I'm thinking a large motorcycle battery or two ... or three .... :laughing6:
Some of those Odyssey batteries that Kodiak sells are pretty small, that might be the way to go. If you have not yet done so, check out WolfmanX (Jason) from SCCX. That is the XOC post that someone referenced earlier. I think he is up to 3 batteries now, one is in the cargo area someplace.

I don't know about the spare tire area, unless you can think of a way to keep water away. Seems kind of low.

Here's a screwball idea: what about on your rear Shrock bumper with some sort of disconnect plug so you only have it installed while on the trail? Just thinking out loud here. Of course, you still have the really long cable to deal with.

Or, you could trade in the X for an FJ Cruiser. There is all kinds of room under that hood.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Can someone do a photoshop of two smaller optima yellow tops? At least one guy here is running the smaller optima yellow top, and i assume that since he hasnt posted any problems its working fine for him.... so two of those would be great, right?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
So sleeping on this idea (at work!) and dwelling on Frank's idea I think I'm going to look at mounting a couple of Odyssey batteries up where the spare tire is suppose to go. Looking at their batteries they're glass absorbed mat meaning they don't leak, the can be mounted in any position, and handle bumps very well. I'll keep my engine mounted battery and add a pair of aux batteries back aft.

They sell them in all sizes but the 925 series looks to be the right size at about 6" tall and weighing in at 26 pounds each. Right now I'm looking at using a pair of them to get about 55 amp hours worth of reserve.

I'm thinking of getting a piece of 3/4" think marine grade plywood and cutting it into a 33" diameter circle. Odyssey makes a matching welded steel mounting plate for the batteries. I'd use a pair of 2" aluminum "L" brackets to stiffen the top and another shorter pair down below to cross brace the bottom side.

I'm planning on using the stock spare tire "winch" assemble to pull the battery assembly up. I figure that it's going to weigh about 60-70 pounds - I'll do the math first - and the winch ought to hold that as the stock tire weighs about 50 pounds. Once in place I'll come up with some nuts/bolts and more angle iron to hold the assembly up. Its been wet here so I haven't actually stuck my head up under the back end to see what I'm dealing with yet.

I want to mount the power with quick disconnects so I can pull the system down and disconnect it. I'm doing the rearch for the charging system. There are some dead nutz simple ones using solinoids and others with dual diodes and some logic. The requirements for off-road use (winching) is a whole lot different that those with large stereo systems.

I hope I don't offend anyone in the business but designing the proper relay, delay, safety, display, and charging systems wouldn't seem to be rocket science and I'll likely just build my own and have some fun doing so.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I don't think 12 VDC will short out under water - not enough voltage ... science experiment to follow. If a turn indicator or any other part of the 12 VDC were to be under water the short would be easier - the terminals on the back of the trailer hitch are only fractions of an inch apart. On the battery they'll be 6 inches or so apart.

Sticking my face under the truck and it looks like I'd have to build a square platform that will tuck up higher than the spare tire sits. I'm thinking the terminals will be up better that 18" or so ...

Nice picture above!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts