Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Dual Batt Mod Engine Compartment ~ COMPLETE Pictoral Install Feb-2-2013 (REDONE)

50K views 136 replies 55 participants last post by  cvillfarms 
#1 · (Edited)
More pics tomorrow when Jeff of Arabia's overkill downloads them to a stick for me. :):)
The pics will be more informative then tonight's posting.

He plans to give his write up to Kodiak industries http://kodiakinc.com/powersystems/dualbatterykits.html for a kit to be made and sold.
this was a one off using an existing kit. and modifying it. The great thing about this approach is that it uses as many existing holes and nut mounting points that already exist as possible with very little fabrication.

Note relocation of Power steering reservoir

These were PC1200's
PC 1200 Specs:

* 1200 cranking amps for 5 seconds
* 1090 cranking amps for 10 seconds
* 900 cranking amps for 20 seconds
* Short circuit current over 2600A
* 44 amp hours
* 78 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
* Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
* No metal jacket
* Length 7 11/16"
* Width 6.5"
* Height 6 5/8"
* Weighs 37.5 lbs

some switch shots.

Cable run and fuse to the back of the rig for the secondary winch

See less See more
#6 ·
The one listed is for 1st Gen Xterra's.
The second Gen has not been built yet.
My one off uses a Jeep pre-built tray from Kodiak and is re-purposed for us.
This should speed things up since the rest of the kit is already built and we just need the write up and a few brackets for the relocation of the Power steering reservoir and the side wiring.
More pics showing the complete fab coming in about an hour. :)

#8 · (Edited)
Complete Pictoral install NEW PICS UP
see first post

That's what I did Mark.
Only the kit price will be cheaper than I paid for the R&D phase of extra man hours.

How much was this setup with the bats?
Posted via Mobile Device
around 1500 and change (for me)

#10 · (Edited)
Here is the instructions.
the batts go like this:...........

MODE 1

batt 1 and batt 2 get charged every day, isolated when power off (green light position)

MODE 2

only main batt starts vehicle, only main batt charged only powers accessories on main
isolate both batteries when off road. Total disconnect aux batt from main batt (center position)

MODE 3
emergency
Connect both batts together with ignition off or on
Joins batts for starting or winching or when main batt is dead

Note : select mode 1 after use of MODE 3

some switch shots.

#18 ·
This is a great mod. Id like to tackle it myself this summer (since im an electrical engineer). I should be pretty straightforward. I am planning on using an electrical controller/monitor to manage and display the power in each of the batteries....and ill be hooking up the whole system to solar panels on the roof for trickle charging while camping. Good work again chris.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
Well done!

Great design, great batteries ;), great execution and nice post!

If I ever need to go dual battery, I will surely reference this post. :eek:ccasion5:

#24 ·
Question: On the website, it says

Both batteries are automatically isolated when the ignition is turned off, preventing the dueling battery syndrome.
Does that mean isolated from each other, or isolated from the power bus altogether? The first case would be desirable, but the second would make you lose power to the radio and everything else... like disconnecting your battery every time you pull the key.

It also seems like you could save A LOT of $$$ if you gave up the remotely controlled switching control and used a simple marine dual battery switch (manual) like this $20 Perko switch:

#28 ·
Not at all, and this wasn't a critisism. But you have to admit that this is a LOT of money for most people. In fact I really don't understand why it is so expensive.

#31 ·
I paid 1500 and change for the R&D

retail
2x Odyssey batteries = ..........400-450 $
prefab brackets and hdwr =................U
battery tray = ...................V
solenoid = ...................W
switch in cabin = ...................X
switch cabling =................... Y
battery cabling = ...................Z

Retail range(guesstimate) 850$
American Profit margin ........Q

Looks about right to me considering it is probably not mass produced in large enough quantities to bring about a price drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.