Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just drove Webster Pass by Brekenridge over the weekend and had a couple of questions. First of all, I had no idea the shelf road coming down the south side of the pass was going to be so narrow. There was one point when my passenger side tires were up against the rock on the uphill side and my driver side tires were at the edge on the downhill side with about an inch or two to spare... no room for error. The drop downhill at that particular point would have been seriously damaging if not fatal. There were a lot of ATVs in the area which made me think the road is primarily for smaller vehicles. For any of you that have driven the Pass, what were your impressions.

Secondly, lets say my downhill side tires were to slip over the edge of the road... is that a garenteed roll over into oblivion, or would I just fall down onto the frame and get stuck. That was my first time driving something like that and I was more than a little freaked out (Made the girlfriend get out and walk behind, so that if I did go over, she would have the pleasure of watching my firey death instead of participating in it.)

Also, I've been wanting to wheel around the Ouray area (Black Bear Pass), but have been reading that its full of shelf roads like on Webster and even worse. Any tips, pointers, etc, about driving in these situations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Ben

·
on line
576 Posts
Webster can be sketchy, but I was able to get my wide load down the pass. Shelf roads in general can have a huge pucker factor, however if your with the right people, it can make it more comfortable.

As for Ouray, RMXC just got back from there over the labor day weekend. Is it alot of shelf roads?.....yep. However, the views are amazing. If I can take my truck over the roads, then your 05 would be fine. However, your best bet is to go with someone that knows the trails. If your planning to do Black Bear, do NOT go alone if you havent done it before. Black Bear is an amazing trail, but if Webster freaked you out, Black Bear isn't any easier.

Ouray Photos:

And as you can see here, Black Bear is tight. However, 05s have gone down.

·
on line
95 Posts
We went Websters pass on 9/7/06 (last thursday) with my Dads 95 Ford Bronco. The Bronco is alot wider than the Xterra and it was very scary considering how many times I thought we would roll. The road going up from the north end (out of Montezuma) was not bad at all all the way up to the Red Cone Jeep trail, but the south side is a real bi*ch. I'm into light off roading and that was a little too rough for me. I'm just glad I didnt take the new X down it. My only suggestion for you is to make sure your seatbelt is fastened!!! We had to go all the way out to 285 (by Grant) over to highway 9 back up to dillon to get back to camp (up Deer Creek from Montezuma) as we didnt want to go back up and over that silly road.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Man shelves are real pucker times, but you have to be especially careful on sharp turns when a runoff or stream crosses at the same point--CARE-- :cherry: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I would rather have no doors and my seatbelt off if there is a chance the thing is going to go off the side of a cliff...better chance of getting out.

·
on line
295 Posts
I took my 05 over webster and radical hill with RMXC first month i had it. Yeah, it's hairy, but the club really helped me through it. I highly recommend coming with us. Helps build confidence in the X and driver.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I'm with all the other RMXCers on this one. A good group of friends who know what they are doing helps immensely!

As for your frame catching you, I wouldn't want to bet my life on it :bom:

·
on line
295 Posts
RogueClimber said:
I'm with all the other RMXCers on this one. A good group of friends who know what they are doing helps immensely!

As for your frame catching you, I wouldn't want to bet my life on it :bom:
This from a man who hangs himself of rocks with rope! :eek:)
I concur. It would be a stroke of luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts