Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for anyone that might be able to help.

Having my 2006 T-Swapped currently and we are using a 2005 Titan rear differential. What parts for a driveshaft do I need to modify my driveshaft to? I'm open to either JE Reel or Tom Woods. I recall seeing something online of a parts list you could get and take to a local driveline shop.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Save yourself LOTS of money and trouble and ditch the rear titan diff idea and just get wheel spacers. I remembered someone chiming in on how much work it was and how it still wasn't braking right. Search "thenewx.org Titan rear diff" and all the threads will pop up.
Too late lol. Plus I sold my M226. I've thought this through and am fully committed. Believe me, I've talked to my share of folks about this lol

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Save yourself LOTS of money and trouble and ditch the rear titan diff idea and just get wheel spacers. I remembered someone chiming in on how much work it was and how it still wasn't braking right. Search "thenewx.org Titan rear diff" and all the threads will pop up.
We have the brake issue tackled.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I’d also use the Titan axle.

I went with a Tom Woods double cardan driveshaft and am very happy with it. That’s what I would do.

Another option - you would have to confirm, but I believe Titan rear axles use a 1350 yoke at the t case and a 1350 bolt on yoke to the companion flange on the diff. If that’s the case, you could buy a Titan slip yoke for the transfer case and have a “regular” driveshaft made with one 1350 at each end.

Also, talk to tom Woods before you regear (assuming you are). It is probably better to keep the Titan companion flange (again, I believe it’s a 4 bolt flange for a bolt on 1350 yoke) and skip the aluminum adapter they have to use for our 6 bolt flanges.

Make sure you confirm the part about the bolt on 1350 yoke for the Titan ds as I’m not 100% sure about that part.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If I had to do it all over again, I’d also use the Titan axle.

I went with a Tom Woods double cardan driveshaft and am very happy with it. That’s what I would do.

Another option - you would have to confirm, but I believe Titan rear axles use a 1350 yoke at the t case and a 1350 bolt on yoke to the companion flange on the diff. If that’s the case, you could buy a Titan slip yoke for the transfer case and have a “regular” driveshaft made with one 1350 at each end.

Also, talk to tom Woods before you regear (assuming you are). It is probably better to keep the Titan companion flange (again, I believe it’s a 4 bolt flange for a bolt on 1350 yoke) and skip the aluminum adapter they have to use for our 6 bolt flanges.

Make sure you confirm the part about the bolt on 1350 yoke for the Titan ds as I’m not 100% sure about that part.
I actually spoke to Shawn yesterday at Woods. We discussed what we are going to do. They can build me a complete shaft with the 1350 at each end. I am also using a 2015 Titan Transmission and Transfer Case. All I have to do is send them my slip yoke for a core charge.

I will be re-reading at some point in the next year to 4.10/11s. I'll have adequate power to push the 35s but definitely want to re-gear asap.
I really wish I had an 08+ rear diff as I would be able to get the Nitro Chromoly axles. The 05 rear diff supposedly has a different spline count? I have an Evo truss that will be going on the rear diff that was modified from its original form to fit a Jeep D44 I believe. Just needs to be welded up then we will use Steel-It to paint it.

Here are the chromoly axles I was referring to

https://www.nitro-gear.com/Nissan-M226-LH-Nitro-Rear-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-p/axd2006070-2.htm

https://www.nitro-gear.com/Nissan-M226-RH-Nitro-Rear-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-p/axd2006070-1.htm

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
All the m226 axles are 32 spline, and always were. There must be some other difference.

I know that's when they went from 2 spider gears to 4 also, but I wouldn't think that would impact the axle shafts unless the length is very slightly different.

Rockauto sells some USA standard axle shafts that are stronger than stock also (1541H). Skimming the description on those nitro's, I can't tell if they are also 1541H or 4340.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All the m226 axles are 32 spline, and always were. There must be some other difference.

I know that's when they went from 2 spider gears to 4 also, but I wouldn't think that would impact the axle shafts unless the length is very slightly different.

Rockauto sells some USA standard axle shafts that are stronger than stock also (1541H). Skimming the description on those nitro's, I can't tell if they are also 1541H or 4340.
I'm going to give Nitro a call and ask. Got a few other folks I'm going to talk to. Thanks for the headsup on the axles. Maybe I'll just go that route.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just peeked at RockAuto and they're not showing anything for the rear diff with e-locker. I have a 2012 e-locker that will be going in when we put new gears in.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Search other years, Rockauto can be funny like that.
Will do. Talk to Scott at Nitro (owner- I think) and he said there isn't much difference except for the bearing/seal kit and he did not believe it would fit. He told me to contact Dutchman Axle in Meridian, ID.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do. Talk to Scott at Nitro (owner- I think) and he said there isn't much difference except for the bearing/seal kit and he did not believe it would fit. He told me to contact Dutchman Axle in Meridian, ID.

Talked to Travis at Dutchman and he pointed me in the direction of West Coast Differentials lol

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked to Travis at Dutchman and he pointed me in the direction of West Coast Differentials lol

West Coast Differentials sent me to Moser Engineering and they dont do any either lol

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I am going to start looking for an 08+ Locked rear end and get it set up for the X after I move back to Montana. Or just get Currie to build one lol

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I think I am going to start looking for an 08+ Locked rear end and get it set up for the X after I move back to Montana. Or just get Currie to build one lol

If you are going to regear and upgrade the axle shafts, the currie d60 probably isn’t much more anyway.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you are going to regear and upgrade the axle shafts, the currie d60 probably isn’t much more anyway.
Yeah, no doubt. I'd probably go with the F9 over the D60. However, I talked to Currie a month or so ago and they've stopped making both axles for the Titan. He said they've had some interest since they stopped offering it. I'll probably sell my 05 axle with the Woods Driveshaft and get a new driveshaft for the 08+ Titan Axle. We are putting new seals and bearings in the 05 Axle and itll have the PRG Diff cover on it so I'm sure someone would buy it. I'm going to hold off on putting the truss on the 05 and save it for the 08+ so many things to deal with it adds up for sure.

·
Veteran
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, after chatting with a couple friends, one a Nissan Tech that knows these very well as does the other friend, we think the 08+ chromoly shafts will work. The only thing that would need to be changed is using the 08+ bearings as the specs changed(assuming inner diameter as the housing/tube diameter hasn't changed) I'm going to confirm with Nitro G&A and Nissan parts guy as well and if I can get ahold of him, Steven from RR. This would definitely help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts