Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with my driver side window going down fine, but coming up it would work intermittently. Sometimes it wouldn't go at all, and you'd hit the switch a couple more times and it would then go all the way up without a problem. Most times there was no problem at all.

I'm handing the X off to my daughter, and don't want her to have any issues... so I ordered a new switch module and replaced it today. Now there is a consistent behavior that's really strange. It rolls down fine, but upon rolling it up, it stops after a certain distance.... maybe 3-4". Hit the switch again and it rolls up that 3-4" again. At no point does it not roll up when hitting the switch like before, but now it simply stops after a while.

Now right as it stops, I hear a clicking from the switch module.... sounds like it might be a relay? The other thing is... my memory might be really bad here, but this is a 2007 and I don't recall having auto-up on the driver window, just auto down. This module has auto up and auto down. The clicking + limited movement happens with up or auto-up.

Any ideas where to start looking?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I just fixed mine that had the exact same problem last week.

As an electrician I checked the module out before starting my work and found when the switch was operated that the motor was getting supplied 12 VDC. Mine was like yours at first and got worse and worse to the point I had to use the switch and help the window up.

There are two "moving parts" in the window. The first is the "regulator" which is the track that the window rides up and down in driven by wires and a pulley wheel. That cost me $30 so I replaced it first. There's a how-to in the exterior forum showing how the door comes apart and the regulator slips out. Not that difficult at all to do. My old one was worn ... but the problem persisted.

So next I bought the second moving part - the motor. Before repairs I inspected the motor and it's included drive gears running 12 VDC into it on my bench. It worked fine not stopping or stalling. So I bought the motor for $60 and installed it. That was the cure. Apparently the old motor has lost enough torque that it couldn't handle the weight of the motor. Replacing the motor is pretty darn simple too and like the regulator takes less than an hour.

While I was in there I put a dab of dielectric grease into each track that the window rides up and down in to smooth the motion out some too.

I picked up my parts from eBay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Now that the weather in Texas is calming down, I can try and tackle nice weekend projects like this....

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I just fixed mine that had the exact same problem last week.

As an electrician I checked the module out before starting my work and found when the switch was operated that the motor was getting supplied 12 VDC. Mine was like yours at first and got worse and worse to the point I had to use the switch and help the window up.

There are two "moving parts" in the window. The first is the "regulator" which is the track that the window rides up and down in driven by wires and a pulley wheel. That cost me $30 so I replaced it first. There's a how-to in the exterior forum showing how the door comes apart and the regulator slips out. Not that difficult at all to do. My old one was worn ... but the problem persisted.

So next I bought the second moving part - the motor. Before repairs I inspected the motor and it's included drive gears running 12 VDC into it on my bench. It worked fine not stopping or stalling. So I bought the motor for $60 and installed it. That was the cure. Apparently the old motor has lost enough torque that it couldn't handle the weight of the motor. Replacing the motor is pretty darn simple too and like the regulator takes less than an hour.

While I was in there I put a dab of dielectric grease into each track that the window rides up and down in to smooth the motion out some too.

I picked up my parts from eBay.

Did your window start going up slower and slower over time before you replaced the motor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts