Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the driver side mirror shroud yesterday backing out of the garage.

So the plan is to extract a replacement from a salvage yard (pick-n-pull or some such).

I've not seen a specific howto on this subject, but it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue:

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7664&highlight=mirror
Danh, anything tricky I should be aware of in making this replacement?

I ran across a picture of the connections in this thread:

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7664&highlight=mirror

It appears as though the wire harness is behind the door panel so I'll have to remove that to disconnect the assembly, right ?

Will this require more than a screwdriver or hex/torx/nut driver ?

Doesn't look hard, but geez, replacing the entire unit 'cause I smashed the shroud?

·
on line
807 Posts
I haven't done it, but considering you can pretty much take the entire truck apart with a 8, 10, 12mm socket and a phillips screw driver, you should be fine.
You may run into a torqs screw/bolt, as sometimes they will use them on mirrors, but since you said you've got them too, you should be fine.

·
on line
97 Posts
You will need to pull off the door panel to gain access to the mirror plug. All you need is a putty knife about 1" wide, a 10mm socket/ratchet, a phillips screw driver, and a small jewlers flathead screw driver. Take your time so you don't damage or break anything. My first time pulling of the door panel took about 10 minutes. I wanted to be carefull not to damage any panels or brake any clips. My mirror wasn't broken but had a 2 inch scrape on it so I replaced it. I found one on ebay for about 70 bucks shipped. Heres the link I hope this helps you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...013QQitemZ230220654029QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need to pull off the door panel to gain access to the mirror plug. All you need is a putty knife about 1" wide, a 10mm socket/ratchet, a phillips screw driver, and a small jewlers flathead screw driver.

Excellent. Thank you. I'll be at the scrapyard on Monday/Tuesday so we'll see if I'll need an online then.

·
on line
131 Posts
I haven't replaced mine yet, either. I've been looking at those replacement mirrors on ebay, and waiting for some free cash to buy one of those. I had to replace one on a first gen, and it wasn't too involved. Just a screwdriver and a 10mm socket, like XKNUT said.

·
on line
97 Posts
^ The second gens take more effort, you are going to have to pull of the door panel to gain access to the power mirror plug. Its not bad maybe 30 minutes for a first timer.

·
on line
131 Posts
XKNUT, have you tried replacing the mirror yet? I did my passenger side this past Saturday with one from ebay, and it wasn't too bad. I had to remove the "finisher", that long black plastic piece just in front of the door panel. The thing is held on by one clip on the inside, three or four of those clips like the ones that hold the grille in on the outside, and a few adhesive strips. I used a heat gun to warm up the adhesive (and my hands, it's still friggin' cold up here) and she peeled right off. Then removed the door panel and again warmed up the adhesive on the door sealer to get to the plug. It is clipped to the inside the door at the top of the opening, just under the door handle. Once the dirty work was done, just three nuts held in the mirror and that's about it.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have you tried replacing the mirror yet?

No.

But I got my PRG UCAs, Radflos, Bilstein 5125s, Deaver AALs, Skids and Sliders installed and covered with mud.

:D

I'm hoping to have time this coming week to run by the salvage yard, otherwise I'll hit up ebay. I appreciate the feedback; it will come in handy when I do finally get around to it.

·
on line
131 Posts
"I got my PRG UCAs, Radflos, Bilstein 5125s, Deaver AALs, Skids and Sliders installed and covered with mud."

Yes, one must have priorities.

·
Read Only
139 Posts
Howdy, I need to replace my driver's side mirror glass (non-heated) and the housing/shroud. I don't need the whole assembly, just those two items as the motor & everything else still work.

1. Can someone help me determine if I have the correct parts selected for the mirror? So odd that they call it left side / right side versus driver/passenger.

2. Can someone help me locate where I can buy just the shroud? I can't find that anywhere online and would rather go that route before finding a junkyard X to pick at.

Thanks

·
Read Only
139 Posts
Checking in again on this - does anyone know if I can replace just the plastic mirror cover without having to pull the door panel apart and taking the whole assembly off? I'm looking at mine now and it looks like you'd have to replace the entire assembly if you just need a new cover. Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Checking in again on this - does anyone know if I can replace just the plastic mirror cover without having to pull the door panel apart and taking the whole assembly off? I'm looking at mine now and it looks like you'd have to replace the entire assembly if you just need a new cover. Thanks
Did you ever figure out if you can replace just the cover? I've got the same issue: shattered cover but perfectly functional motor and heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts