Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, need help. Driver side front door. Everything still works, but when I pull the door handle to open the door I have to pull it further than it used to. It is now almost at the end of travel before the door unlatches. Inside handle still same as it always has been. I just removed the outside handle expecting to see something broken but hanging on, but the handle is perfect. I pulled the lock cylinder and inside door panel off. I tried to remove the exterior door handle reinforcement (Part Number: 80611-9BL0A) to take a look but it won't come out unless I pull more parts off the door. SO, I'm now back on the couch to rethink this before a simple job turns into a pita. Thought I would throw this problem up here and see if anyone had dealt with this before or had ideas. Thanks as always!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luciradu1975
I'm sorry I did not come back in here and update to help others out. I HATE when I read a thread 9 pages long, and the OP disappears and you never find out the solution.

I eventually took the entire driver door apart, removing all the parts related to the door latch, handle, cable etc. I never did find a problem. So, I put it all back together. Dejected, I tried to open the door to make sure I had it back together right, and holy cow....it opened fine again! LOL!!! I have no idea what I did, but it fixed it. Sorry I can't be of help to anyone, but I believe Tony has hit it, the cable has stretched or something is out of adjustment with the cable. It wasn't a bad job, just pulled off the interior panel and started removing parts looking for a problem. It was start to finish about 30 minutes. If you figure yours out, please share here. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Metallic Blue X
43 Posts
All I had to do with mine when the passenger door did this to me is take out the 2 plugs behind the outside door handle. Unbolt and pull out the handle then reconnect the cable. Mine for some reason popped out of the handle and its been working fine for the past couple years since I fixed it. Just be glad you dont have to take the door apart from the inside because the Child Safety lock got turned on because someone thought that would fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts