Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! This is my first post. I have to let everyone know what a great community this is. I have been browsing for the past few months and decided to join today.

Ok, here is my question, I just put a lift on my X today. AC Shackles and TGC spacers. I love the look, however I have this horrible vibration. I cant imagine I am getting drive line vibration from shackles. Could this be because of my alignment? It seems to start at 25mph and go from there. I am getting an alignment next saturday as I dont have time this week. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brent

·
on line
896 Posts
yea I would get an alignment. When I got my setup put on (same as yours), I was also getting my tires put on that day, so I just got an alignment also. I don't remember having any shakes when I was taking it to the tire place though

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it is probably only that. I looked at the agle of the drive shaft and its not any different than before. We will see after saturday. All I have to say is driving it the next week will be fun with a toe in alignment. LOL!!

Other than alignment, is there anything else that would cause the "vibration"?

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard all about that happening with new leafpacks or an aal but not shackles and spacers. Guess i will be buying a shim next to straighten this out. I will wait until I get my alignment just to make sure but i am pretty certain it is driveline related. Damn!

EDIT: Now that I read, i may just wait a bit and see if the spring settles. It only has 2700 miles on it. Do you think that would be my best bet for now?

·
on line
358 Posts
After adding the AC shackles to my X I get a slight vibe at 35-40 mph. Nothing major and only at that speed.

Is your vibration in the steering wheel or the seat of your pants?

Typically, vibration in the steering wheel is the front wheels, seat of the pants is the rear.

·
on line
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seat of the pants. Sounds like what you have. If it is indeed the drive line and I let it like that what kind of damage will happen?

·
on line
358 Posts
Is yours in the same speed range as mine? What speed does it vibrate? The vibration is from the U-joints. If it vibrates at your usual crusing speed you will probably have a short life in your u-joints. If you just pass thru the speed that you have vibrations, like mine, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
on line
279 Posts
To update from my original post, I never did shim. It was so minor that I just decided to live with it. I installed my Shrock sliders, and it reduced the vibration. I installed the gas tank skid (another 42 pounds), and that helped even more to where it's barely noticeable. The other day, when I had a few boxes of tile in the back, there was no vibration at all. For whatever reason, the additional weight helps it out a lot. My pinion angle wasn't off either, so who the hell knows why it behaves the way it does with shackles...

·
on line
316 Posts
Guit Fiddle said:
To update from my original post, I never did shim. It was so minor that I just decided to live with it. I installed my Shrockworks sliders, and it reduced the vibration. I installed the gas tank skid (another 42 pounds), and that helped even more to where it's barely noticeable. The other day, when I had a few boxes of tile in the back, there was no vibration at all. For whatever reason, the additional weight helps it out a lot. My pinion angle wasn't off either, so who the hell knows why it behaves the way it does with shackles...
The additional weight is forcing the suspension to compress so the axle is more in line with the driveshaft. Im not gonna take any chances when I wheel so if I have vibration after I get my alignment, im going for the shims. Its too risky to let that go especially if the dealership decides to be a bunch of @$$holes about the lift and tires.

·
on line
750 Posts
I'm getting very minor vibration between 28-35mph..but it's coming through the steering wheel only. Will get it aligned next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts