Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha!

Im new to the forum but never the less i have a drivetrain problem. My Driveshaft support bearing is GONE-ZO. severe shaking and rattling at 35mph and then again at 70. I called napa and they said they can order the bearing for 140 bucks or something like that. Then i thought maybe i should check with the dealer…the dealer tells me i can't replace the just the support bearing, I have to change the whole driveshaft… Does anyone have experience with this? and where do you suggest i get the parts from either way, cause it needs to be fixed. also as a side note, does anyone know what the best size fitting and looking tire is for the stock 16's?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm banging my head on the wall because of a diff problem myself. Are you talking about the front or rear? The bearings are cheap (timken) on rockauto.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a rear wheel drive X, failed to mention that the first time. sweet ill check out the links, have you heard of this problem? I think its cause I had to do a fair amount of towing for my last job

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Getting so tired of the dealer selling you entire packages of crap for one wear item that needs replacement...

That being said, do your homework. Many times dealers quote things that cannot be purchased separately but come to find out they can.

Latest one for me was the backseat cup holder. Someone stomped on it and broke it. Dealer said I had to replace entire back piece of the console. I think they wanted about $100.00. Found the part number for the cup holder for $48ish I think and ordered it that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh I've checked it, u-joints are mint. the back side of the the rubbah on the carrier bearing is pretty much blown out. she needs replacin. The dealer can only get so many parts that all have to be OEM ,thats why the bearing is not available to them. I guess I'm really wondering how sketchy it is to just replace the bearing, I live in Maine and the weather is crazy, I need to make sure my drivetrain is solid. Wouldn't want a broken driveshaft in a snow storm

Thanks

·
on line
22,508 Posts
i'm a little confused.. where is your DS support bearing and how do you know it is bad?
It's a carrier bearing on the driveshaft. He has a 2wd first gen. They go bad all the time either by the bearing itself rusting out or by the rubber that holds it, rotting out and or tearing. Very common problem for vehicles that have them, but second gen Xterras don't have them. Just first gens and frontiers.

Here's one on an Xterra with the rubber shot. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4hTc9jlIc

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you know he has a first gen? 2nd gens do have carrier bearings inside the differential. But to replace those is basically removing the diff and tearing it apart. Think transmission rebuild.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Have you read any of the thread? He mentions the driveshaft and being able to see the rubber blown out etc?

The 2nd gen Xterras do not have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts