Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Especially with the bigger meats and added weight many of us carry, these kind of rotors seem like a great idea.

So do beefier calipers for that matter, but we all know where that would leave us!

·
on line
631 Posts
d-rap said:
Especially with the bigger meats and added weight many of us carry, these kind of rotors seem like a great idea.

So do beefier calipers for that matter, but we all know where that would leave us!

at home wishing we could drive but cant afford gas? $3/gallon in Utah! WTF!!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Drilled/slotted rotors are a reasonable addition. They help to significantly reduce brake heat, thus increasing the coefficient of friction, along with prolonging brake-life.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I've always been a little skeptical of the drilled and slotted rotors for one reason, strength. The slots and holes have to weaken the overall integrity of the rotor. No imagine a normal da of stop and go driving in the rain hitting mud puddles. Your rotor heats up. The water drastically cools it. This happens over and over and over. Eventually it might break due from the stress of it heating up and rapidly cooling. I was once told to either do slotted or drilled, never both.

Now before anyone says so, yes race cars do run slotted/drilled rotors and those go under heavy use. Yet those things get thrown out with the half eaten burito in the garages after the race.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
willgr1 said:
i recall hearing (from back in my import tuner days, lol) drilled rotors may warp, it's best to go with slotted only rotors
X2
X3 Thats why I've stayed away. And that they cost $$. $$ I could spend on many other things.
Seriously, I can see some validity in it. I get plenty of rocks stuck in my front brakes without them.

·
on line
187 Posts
the main point for SLOTTED rotors has nothing to do with heat at all....the slots or to relieve and expel the gas created between the pad and rotors. the slots also help prevent the pads from glazing over which happens to the X's brakes everytime im coming down the mountain and some ricer thinks he can out drive me.....lol....they're always pissed when a truck weighting twice as much and having a center of gravity more than a few feet higher passes them up ON THE TURNS....the x handles~!!!!
anyways.....the main purpose of slots are not for cooling, the holes are~!
they create alot more surface area for the air to cool the rotor. but with drilled rotors, the holes are usually drilled out from blanks. i would not doubt if the ebay rotors were drilled out wrong.....i mean there are holed that were just drilled and there are holes that are....damn i can't think of the word...chamfered....angled.....like...the hole...looks like a V from the side rather than a ll u get what im saying......holes drilled out like ll create sharp spots which will lead to stress cracks. especially under some heat.

plus there are many ways to treat rotors to make them stronger and more resistant?to thermal breakdown..? like they resist breakage due to changes in heat. like....cryotreating, and heat treating. when done right, they raise the strength of the material greatly....

i just forgot what else i was going to type.....damn TV....
aite....so anyways.....there are alot of rotors out there that are not made right.......there are rotors that were made to be drilled and slotted...they are not the same as a rotor designed to be blank and then having a second person drill it themselves.....

the stillen rotors were designed that way.....they are quality rotors....stillen also uses AP racing brakes which are REALLY good

anyways....uh....im getting tired.... trust me...i go to school for this stuff...im mechanical engineer..... and soon to be member of the formula race team..... bastard teammates get to go to italy to race our car on farrari's proving grounds and get a tour of the plant and etc....i wish i had $2k to go....

·
on line
187 Posts
that came out wrong....im studying to be a mech. engineer....most of my classes til NOW have pretty much vector this thermo that stress this....but noow.....its a class where i have to use all that and design on solidworks....freaking time consuming....last week i spent the entire week working on solidworks, never knew i could stay at school for sooo long.... i understand y people commit suicide now....its really depressing in a computer lab with 4 people at 4am....
the $2K is really just to get a chance to get to know the farrari engineers....plus i dunno....i guess its an engineer geek thing....lol im not going so im not a geek....

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's good to know. I thought rotors were all basically the same. Hopefully r1concept can clarify this issue regarding their rotors?

·
on line
1,123 Posts
ahnyoungboi3 said:
.....i mean there are holed that were just drilled and there are holes that are....damn i can't think of the word...chamfered....angled.....like...the hole...looks like a V from the side rather than a ll u get what im saying......
You had it right with chamfered. Have you taken dymamics yet? If not, it could make you long for the long nights of SolidWorks.

·
on line
187 Posts
u mean...have i passed dynamics yet? im working on it....dont get me wrong....i hate solidworks...but man....beats a nights of dynamics thermo and all the other chapters of physics built into classes, ANYDAY.....graduation seems so far away
R or were u a ME too?

·
on line
735 Posts
when I worked a little on a trans am cars in the 90's, they were only using slotted rotors with AP brakes all around.

It's stupid to use them on an suv since the rotors will need to be changed at every brake job and , if anything, they won't work well with normal pads since there will be less surface area to have friction against.

You'd be money ahead to fit bigger custom brakes rather than drill holes in your rotors. If crossdrilling is done right, you might prevent brake fade on a road course or autocross, but the small stock brakes still won't work better with 35 inch tires, cross drilled or not.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
mike100 said:
but the small stock brakes still won't work better with 35 inch tires, cross drilled or not.
True, and as mike said the drilling reduces friction surface decreasing performance unless you upgrade to bigger brakes, of course.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts