Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Iam getting a little upset that I keep returning to the dealership after an oil change. It seems that the oil drain plugs on the xterra are faulty or someone is not doing there job properly. What happens is the oil leaks from the drain plug. The dealer told me the drain plugs are cooperand everytime they are over tightened they get a slight crack and they leak. Does anyone elese have this problem before?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
agreed with muz...

no issues with mine, i do my own oil changes, haven't had any leaks, i have not replaced the washer either (actually mine doesn't even have one, i think someone forgot to put it in.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
miles said:
thanks.I got take it back in tomorrow...its expensive to lose Mobile 1 oil
It's even worse to have a dealer who is either that incompetent or thinks they can push you around.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Since the crush washer should be replaced during EVERY oil change, it should never get the chance to crack.

The washer is like $.50 from the dealer.

I buy my filters from www.yournissanparts.com and they come with the crush washer taped to the top of the box!

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats what I said but when its over tightened then it cracks...thats what they say at least...I am going over there to bitch at the service manager.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Then make sure they don't over tighten it. And to be honest, I still don't see how a new crush washer would crack even if it was over tight. I would be more worried about stripping the threads out of the pan.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So let me give you an update...The mechanic was pissed amd apologetic about what happened. The dealership just ordered me a whole new oil pan. They think the oil pan leaks and it drips down the side of the pan all the way down to the drain plug. Once the oil gets to the drain plug it drips. The oil pan should be in on Monday.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they siliconed the oil pan to slow down the leak until next week.....I am going to my cottage this weekend do you think it would be ok to drive?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It'll be fine unless it's pouring out.

I would take a couple qt's (or however you Canuckian's measure your oil) with you so you can check it and add as needed.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
hope that fixes it for you. Are they covering it under warrenty?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts