Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse me if this has been beaten to death, but yesterday I ran a OBD2 scan on my X and I got a few codes. I bought the truck with what I think are long tube headers, they are definitely Doug Thorley and after market, as I can see the DT branding on the drivers side header.

The codes I got were the classic P0420 and P0430, O2 sensor, and C1102 (I've addressed this already in another post of mine, the wheel speed sensor is missing and the clip that it mates to is missing as well).

My question is, those with DTs, how do you decipher between an engine that is running poorly and a computer that is throwing codes because of the LTs?

I have no catalytic converters on the truck.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
The choices I've read of are...

UpRev tune, they can make it so the P0420 and P0430 codes don't get thrown.

A downstream O2 sensor made with a small piece of catalytic converter material in front of it that makes the sensor read like there's an cat in front of it.

Ignore the SES light and hope it's just trying to tell you about the cat codes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The choices I've read of are...

UpRev tune, they can make it so the P0420 and P0430 codes don't get thrown.

A downstream O2 sensor made with a small piece of catalytic converter material in front of it that makes the sensor read like there's an cat in front of it.

Ignore the SES light and hope it's just trying to tell you about the cat codes.
Do I need to do any servicing? I mean I'm sure replacing a few items is never a bad thing, but I'm trying to focus on clearing the codes. I may decide to take the LTs off and sell them. I don't particularly want them, never been interested, and I like knowing if there is an issue.

I've never been told to "ignore and hope."

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I'm not saying ignoring it is a good idea, just a choice some people make.

The important thing for your X to run right is the upstream sensors aren't throwing a code, they're what the X uses to monitor the result of it's fuel mixture. The downstream sensors just monitor the cats, they'll throw a code but the X can run fine with an unhappy downstream sensor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not saying ignoring it is a good idea, just a choice some people make.

The important thing for your X to run right is the upstream sensors aren't throwing a code, they're what the X uses to monitor the result of it's fuel mixture. The downstream sensors just monitor the cats, they'll throw a code but the X can run fine with an unhappy downstream sensor.
Are the P0420 and P0430 codes indicative of something more sinister or are they solely for the cats? They are misfire codes I believe.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Are the P0420 and P0430 codes indicative of something more sinister or are they solely for the cats? They are misfire codes I believe.
Those codes are for the cats functioning below an efficiency threshold. P0300 through P0306 are the misfire codes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So why not share that info in your first post? You said you had three codes, and none of those codes were for misfires.
I was mistaken that the P0420 and P0430 codes were misfire codes. Lack of knowledge on my part, apologies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I just need plugs and a good clean. I ran it through the gears as fast as I know how to, and it had no sluggishness. It wasn't fast but for my first time trying to drive a stick fast, with big tires, and factory gears, it seemed to hit the estimated 0-60 time on the mark.

Seems doubtful I'd need something too major if it still runs like that, and maybe it's not actually misfiring?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
No cats? You will get those codes, as the up and downstream O2's are reading the same value...ECU thinks the cat is not fuctioning (cleaning) properly, so yeah without them...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No cats? You will get those codes, as the up and downstream O2's are reading the same value...ECU thinks the cat is not fuctioning (cleaning) properly, so yeah without them...
Shouldn't cause a misfire code though. Right?

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
Shouldn't cause a misfire code though. Right?
no, it will throw the p0420/p0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold codes.

Your x will only throw misfire codes if it is only misfiring. P0300 - P0306 as already mentioned.

here is the list of codes
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/38308-obd-ii-codes.html

pictures of your headers would be helpful to let you know if they are long tubes or not. If short tubes and you have 4 cats, and are throwing those codes, you need to replace the cats ASAP.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no, it will throw the p0420/p0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold codes.

Your x will only throw misfire codes if it is only misfiring. P0300 - P0306 as already mentioned.

here is the list of codes
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/38308-obd-ii-codes.html

pictures of your headers would be helpful to let you know if they are long tubes or not. If short tubes and you have 4 cats, and are throwing those codes, you need to replace the cats ASAP.
I'll post a picture later.

I am very familiar with what cats looks like and I'm very positive I don't have any.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
FWIW - I have LT headers (DT) and magnaflow high flow cats and do not get any codes. Only time I did is when one of the O2 sensors touched the heatshield and blew the fuse. However, NONE of those several codes were the 0420 (driver) or 430 (pass)...after I replaced the fuse and reset from reader, they went away. I know this isn't what you are getting, just mentioning that in the last 3 years or so, never had a cat code running this setup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
FWIW - I have LT headers (DT) and magnaflow high flow cats and do not get any codes. Only time I did is when one of the O2 sensors touched the heatshield and blew the fuse. However, NONE of those several codes were the 0420 (driver) or 430 (pass)...after I replaced the fuse and reset from reader, they went away. I know this isn't what you are getting, just mentioning that in the last 3 years or so, never had a cat code running this setup.
I think I will get some performance cats at some point. Thanks for the info! Do your LT hang down just about even with the frame rails?

How many cats did you add? 1 or two?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think I will get some performance cats at some point. Thanks for the info! Do your LT hang down just about even with the frame rails?

How many cats did you add? 1 or two?
They go about down to framerails, yeah. However, they really need to call them "medium (length) tubes" IMO, as the primaries really aren't that long...when I think of LT, it means say 32" to 36" long.

I'm only running 1 cat per side, 2 1/2" tube (pipe) dia each...

My headers are ceramic coated, but even so, try to install cats as close to header collector flange, as physically possible. Reason being is that the operational efficiency is based on exhaust heat...this will help you not get a code also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They go about down to framerails, yeah. However, they really need to call them "medium (length) tubes" IMO, as the primaries really aren't that long...when I think of LT, it means say 32" to 36" long.

I'm only running 1 cat per side, 2 1/2" tube (pipe) dia each...

My headers are ceramic coated, but even so, try to install cats as close to header collector flange, as physically possible. Reason being is that the operational efficiency is based on exhaust heat...this will help you not get a code also.
I'm bringing this thread back up, because starting a new one is unnecessary.

I found some Apex Precision MFG secondary cats, with an O2 hole for $145 on ebay. They seem like they would do the job, and my question is with only one cat per side, should I get a code? My hope is no, and it looks like I may be in the clear based on the comments above.

Also, what brand on your cats JNR?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-10-Xterra-Pathfinder-2012-NV1500-05-11-Frontier-REAR-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-SET/283462002476?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3Db18c7195f6114b98a1117865a48fefd0%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D272223363478%26itm%3D283462002476&_trksid=p2045573.c100667.m2042

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have magnaflow cats, 2 1/2" which I bought on sale at Pep Boys for like 80/ea IIRC.

Have not had any codes, although the only issue is one of the heatshields came loose and caused a rattle...it was more of the installer issue IMO but they are not attached real well to begin with IIRC (spot welded)...been awhile since I looked at them though...fixed it with a hose clamp for temp, works fine like that though to keep it quiet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts