Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While i was changing the rear brake pads and rotors today, I noticed that my DT exhaust had developed a rust hole along the area where the pipe exits the muffler. There are also general rusting spots along the welds and in random spots.

Is this normal at 50,000 miles (80,000km)?

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Sounds about right. I've tossed my headers and just keep repairing the cat back until i get something different
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Mine lasted a little longer here in Indiana (75k). Ended up just replacing everything with a stainless custom setup that was more tucked for off-road use.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds about right. I've tossed my headers and just keep repairing the cat back until i get something different
Posted via Mobile Device
Pleas explain, I'm about to install some DT shorty headers and I live in a very moist climate. Don't want them to rust out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also own a jeep wrangler and have done alot of work on it. Including header install, in that community it is standard to use a high quality header paint before installing, I'm not sure how many people do this on Xterras but it really seems to make a difference in longevity for jeeps.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
Pleas explain, I'm about to install some DT shorty headers and I live in a very moist climate. Don't want them to rust out.
After 3 years my headers developed multiple cracks and holes right were all the tubes come together. DT wanted me to send them back and they would determine if they would fix them or replace them. Didn't have the time to hassle with shipping and waiting to see what they would do so in the garbage they went.

I also have had multiple holes/cracks develop right where the hanger is welded to the last res. on the cat back. I just keep welding it back together until the next one appears.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Eh, I can't say I was too happy with them either. Though I wouldn't go so far as to say they are trash. Especially when compared against other kits.

That said, knowing what I know now I would have just went 100% custom and called it a day. Would have gotten a product that suited me better (personally did not care for the DT sound) and likely higher quality, for less (than what I spent making the DT work for me).

I have the cat-back exhaust - and mine looks similar to the OP in terms of surface rust.

The holes showing in the OP and commented here are around the welds. My DT setup has about 50k on it as well and has no holes in it or around the welds put on by DT at the factory, or by the install shop. Yet anyway. There is some surface rust, just like the OP. But yea, the stock one at 15k when I pulled it off was COVERED in surface rust. Much more than the DT has at triple the milage. I'm not worried about the surface rust as much. (Though I will be treating it and the undercarriage come the spring) And I think the holes folks are complaining about are not related as much to the DT product as it is to the install.

·
on line
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 3 years my headers developed multiple cracks and holes right were all the tubes come together. DT wanted me to send them back and they would determine if they would fix them or replace them. Didn't have the time to hassle with shipping and waiting to see what they would do so in the garbage they went.

I also have had multiple holes/cracks develop right where the hanger is welded to the last res. on the cat back. I just keep welding it back together until the next one appears.
now i'm worried about my headers! installed those last summer, hopefully they do not develop cracks / holes like yours

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Why not just purchase a magnaflow and have a shop throw it on and call it a day. I got mine bought mounted with a y pipe delete and bigger piping for under 300.

Indeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not just purchase a magnaflow and have a shop throw it on and call it a day. I got mine bought mounted with a y pipe delete and bigger piping for under 300.
yes if i had the cash on hand that would be a good option. Main reason for posting the question is to find out what others are experiencing with the same exhaust. I bought the DT for $400 + shipping and that doesn't include installation. Does not seem very worth it in hindsight, given that most people are getting more mileage than mine.

I had a magnaflow in the past without any issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts