Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Off-Road MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, not sure if this was supposed to go here or in the interior section so bear with me. I've looked through countless threads here and on other forums and cannot find any solutions.

The other day, I noticed my X started locking all of the doors on its own continuously while I was driving. Since then, even when parked and everything is off, the doors are constantly locking themselves. I can hear the BCM clicking underneath the dash and all of the doors do indeed lock. Sometimes, while it's locking, even inserting a manual key into the handle won't unlock it, I have to wait for the locking sounds to go away and then I can get in. It's intermittent, sometimes it's quiet, and sometimes it will continuously lock itself for minutes straight. I have removed the batteries from both key fobs, have checked basic fuses, and am not sure where to go from here. When I look online for a specific 07 X door lock relay, a part does show up, but I don't see anywhere under the dash or in the relay panel under the hood for it. Am I missing something?

I'm thinking it's either one of the two door switches (either driver side master or passenger) or it's an issue with the BCM, but this is just gut instinct. Is there something else I should try? Thanks for any and all advice!

[07 MT Off-Road]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check the FSM, there's probably a procedure in there for troubleshooting. Off the top of my head though the first thing I'd try is disconnecting the master door lock switch and see if that stops it. Although depending on how it's wired that could just completely kill all door locking. But if you pull the switch and it keeps happening then you know your problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
2007 Off-Road MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a good idea though to double check the master switch. I could still try to unlock using a fob or the passenger switch. I’ll post an update.

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
177 Posts
Both my 2009 OR and my current 2012 Pro-4X have done this. I just assumed it was normal. Whenever I have the car running and I want to get out, I try to keep the door open but I always put the window down in case the doors lock on me. It's annoying as hell but I'm plenty used to it now.

·
Registered
2007 Off-Road MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, with both driver and passenger switches unplugged, it still continues to lock on its own. I really don’t want to just live with it because it’s not a daily driver and while it sits it will just kill the battery and unnecessarily wear out the actuators. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You may have a grounding issue somewhere. Read "Step 3 - Test for Backup Circuit" in this thread:
How-to: Install GPS Stereo Head Unit and Backup Camera

The power lock signal is carried by wires that will activate the power locks if they are grounded. It could be that one of these wires is intermittently grounding itself and activating the power locks.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Check your battery and battery cables. I had a Chrysler 300M that would do this and when I checked the negative cable it literally broke in half due to corrosion under the rubber casing. Once I swapped out all of the cables the problem never returned.

A low/nearly dead battery and/or corroded cables can cause all kinds of weird issues.

·
Registered
2007 Off-Road MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Battery was replaced with an AGM in December and both cables are in good condition, including the fuse harness for the sound system.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Did you try flexing the cables or just visually inspect them? Mine looked nearly brand new but when I tried to bend the corroded cable it literally snapped in half. They often will corrode form the inside out.

·
Registered
2007 Off-Road MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cables are all good.

I did come across this small thread when searching for section BL-16 in the body control system section of the electrical chapter of the manual: What fuse controls auto locks on 2005 X

If I've ruled out everything other than the BCM itself, am I most likely looking at a BCM replacement? Doesn't seem cheap and I really REALLY don't want to take it to the dealer to program key fobs and what not (my local dealer is full of the absolute worst human beings on planet Earth).

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Cables are all good.

I did come across this small thread when searching for section BL-16 in the body control system section of the electrical chapter of the manual: What fuse controls auto locks on 2005 X

If I've ruled out everything other than the BCM itself, am I most likely looking at a BCM replacement? Doesn't seem cheap and I really REALLY don't want to take it to the dealer to program key fobs and what not (my local dealer is full of the absolute worst human beings on planet Earth).
Check the wiring/lock harness on the lock assembly in the back hatch. Remove the inside panel and check for any corrosion. A buddy of mine has had this happen on a few of his Xterra's in the past and that was the cause.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. I solved it by disconnecting the sensor that sits at the end of the key cylinder on the rear hatch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts