Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been reading posts here and I'm still confused. I plan on eventually adding about 300lbs of gear between bumpers, winch and stereo equip. and only want a mild 2.5" lift.

I don't have my new Xterra yet and I'm still putting together my plan for dealing with the dealer. Based on recommendations, I'll have the dealer install aftermarket 285/75-16s on 16x8s before delivery (on order, thanks).

Should I have the dealer install the lift kit and have it good to go on delivery or do it later myself?

Am I right in thinking AC springs and AAL will avoid UCA contact and provide a balanced suspension when I'm done?

And, if I do AC springs with an AAL with rear shocks and brake lines, should I replace the front shocks? If I go with an OR, does it make a difference?

Thanks

·
on line
2,077 Posts
don't know if you've seen this thread....
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3719

AC springs do cause UCA contact...AAL have no influence on contact since the rear of the X is solid axle.

I (and many others) will recommend staying away from the AC springs and just going with a spacer (or stepping up to a coilover lift)

if you're concerned about UCA contact, and want a relatively cheap lift i would recommend the Daystar spacer kit, or the PRG spacers with shackles or deavers.

·
on line
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
willgr1 said:
don't know if you've seen this thread....
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3719

AC springs do cause UCA contact...AAL have no influence on contact since the rear of the X is solid axle.

I (and many others) will recommend staying away from the AC springs and just going with a spacer (or stepping up to a coilover lift)

if you're concerned about UCA contact, and want a relatively cheap lift i would recommend the Daystar spacer kit, or the PRG spacers with shackles or deavers.
Thats a great thread! It seems that the conclusion of it is, installing AC springs (or any longer spring) absolutely demands that you upgrade the front shocks to longer travel units. In fact, I will be suggesting to the moderator to add a sticky/warning to upgrade shocks to longer travel units when installing longer springs such as ACs.

My concern is how the suspension deals with the added weight of aftermarket bumpers, sliders, etc. I want to avoid unneccessary bottoming out of the suspension and moreover rubbing of larger tires (285/75-16). Spacers and shackle lift kits do nothing to change the spring rates of the underlying suspension. If the stock suspension is enough to handle mods that add heavy weight, then I'd be happy to get away with a shackles and spacer combo. The moderator's sticky suggests otherwise http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2223.

Can those of you with spacer and shackle lifts and shrocked bumpers chime in with your experience?

·
on line
4,919 Posts
I have a daystar spacer/shakle lift and I am shrocked. I got minimum UCA contact with the spacer. I have installed the Timbren bump-stops front and back to alleviate the bottoming out, but I do notice some front-end dive when braking. With all of the added weight, I have lost about 1/2" of lift. I plan on buying UCA's and Radflo's in the near future, but to get back the height I lost, I am going to install some AC springs as a short-term solution as I have gotten a really good deal on a used AC lift kit. I also have a Deaver mini-pack and extended shocks and brake lines that I'll be putting out back.

I wouldn't recommend having the dealer install very much. If you plan on getting the extended warranty, I would get the spacer/shakle lift and install it yourself. This way, if something happens to your X, the lift can be easily reversed.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
RawKHard said:
Thats a great thread! It seems that the conclusion of it is, installing AC springs (or any longer spring) absolutely demands that you upgrade the front shocks to longer travel units. In fact, I will be suggesting to the moderator to add a sticky/warning to upgrade shocks to longer travel units when installing longer springs such as ACs.
well some people may disagree. I definitely wouldnt suggest putting the AC springs on with the stock 'black' shocks. Actually I wouldnt suggest putting the AC springs on at all. BUT!! I believe kokopop (or someone else) has the AC springs on their truck with the factory bilteins (yellow shocks) and he hasnt had a problem so far. Oh, on a side note... the AC springs arent any longer than the factory springs.... they are just a hell of a lot stiffer, which is how you get lift out of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
RawKHard said:
well some people may disagree. I definitely wouldnt suggest putting the AC springs on with the stock 'black' shocks. Actually I wouldnt suggest putting the AC springs on at all. BUT!! I believe kokopop (or someone else) has the AC springs on their truck with the factory bilteins (yellow shocks) and he hasnt had a problem so far. Oh, on a side note... the AC springs arent any longer than the factory springs.... they are just a hell of a lot stiffer, which is how you get lift out of them.
I had the AC springs on the stock Bilstein's for about 8 months. The only problems I had was going over some dips in the road (the stock shock would top out because I was extending it), and I had to literally crawl over speedbumps, else the front end would come crashing down on the other side. From what I've heard, if you have this setup, and also have a winch bumper installed, the extra weight of the bumper will help decrease these issues.

·
on line
259 Posts
Old Man Emu makes a front lift that should be VERY GOOD. You can get harder springs if you are going to have a front bumper and winch.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7367&highlight=ome
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6923&highlight=ome
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3367&highlight=ome
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2498&highlight=ome

There's some reading. I've had OME in the past and they are as good as they get (despite what others may say).

It is used widely by Land Rovers and Land Cruisers.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i keep forgetting about the OME springs and struts! that is also a great option. They (OEM is made by ARB for those who didn't know) make a set for the pathfinder, but they will still work on the X.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
I've got the OME shocks with AC coils. They work great, but I'm still probably going to switch to new UCAs with Radflos.

·
on line
1,123 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Not all that pleased w/ the OME? Why the feel to convert to Radflo?
I've been happy with the OME shocks, and the AC coils seems ok, but I had to add a 1" spacer to level out with the rear and now I get coil bucket contact (didn't before the spacer). I figure with the UCS/Radflo combo I can get the lift I want, eliminate the contact, and maybe soften the ride a bit.

·
on line
259 Posts
kneebuster said:
I've got the OME shocks with AC coils. They work great, but I'm still probably going to switch to new UCAs with Radflos.
I might buy the OME and AC springs if you sell them cheap (I'm broke after the holliday shopping season).

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Rastaman said:
kneebuster said:
I might buy the OME and AC springs if you sell them cheap (I'm broke after the holliday shopping season).
I'll let you know. It'll be at least a month before I do anything. At least you'd save on shipping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts