Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Donor Xterra Needed near Agoura Hills, CA

8K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  Toro 
#1 ·
A couple days ago I sent an email to a company called Frontrunner Outfitters, asking them if they had any plans to make a roof rack for the Xterra. I've been in touch with them the past couple days and they are interested in producing a full rack replacement, that would be close to the current design they have for other trucks.

I unfortunately don't live anywhere near them, and I told them I would ask around to see if anyone local would be willing to take a drive by the shop. To start he would only need the truck to get some basic measurements, take pictures, and get some feedback. Maybe an hour or so...?

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll pass along the info or put you in contact with them.

#2 ·
Watching this with very serious interest ... both the Frontrunner rack, and the Eezi-Awn K9 (from Equipt) are options I've been *very* interested in pursuing. I think there might be a way to piece together something from the K9 custom catalog (of three different lengths of feet, and various platform sizes), but haven't taken the time to sit down and figure out those details.

We've got enough members in SoCal (this is near Thousand Oaks, north-west of LA) we ought to be able to make something work ... paging SCCX ... at the risk of speaking out of turn: maybe SteeeevO/Rugged Rocks want to be a Frontrunner vendor, too? ;)

#6 ·
Here's another thought, I will be attending the SoCal Mountain Rendezvous of which Frontrunner is a sponsor. Maybe check and see if anyone from Frontrunner attending can bring whatever they need to do the measurements there.

That's not for a couple of weekends though. Sept. 18-21.

#8 ·
Here is the contact info for those interested. Feel free to pass it on to the other SCCX forum.

Steve@frontrunneroutfitters.com
Steve Hayes

He's been pretty good about contact via email. He can provide the additional details if a meet happens. I'll pass along to him that he should expect some emails.

#9 ·
Ill call em and offer to donate my x to whatever they need. It just sits in my driveway anyways. Thanks for the heads up.

#10 · (Edited)
I swung by the shop today and got everything set up.

They took a bunch of pictures and measurments. All the R & D for this company is done at the home office in South Africa so we removed my OE rack and is being prepped for shipping.

I hung out with Steve and some of the guys at the shop and even met Tina, the gal in charge of NorthAmerica for Front Runner. They are an awesome group of people and have grown tremendously in the United States.
They just moved into the building they are in about a month ago and are already planning the next expansion.

There racks are highly customizable and everything is built on a rail system allowing for, on the fly, accesorizing. From showers, lights, tents, tables and fluid containers...These racks are stellar!

I'm very honored and lucky to be a apart of this and I want to thank you Blain for posting this up. I will keep everyone who is interested updated on the progress as I recieve details. The projected time to completion is said to be about 2-3 months.

#12 ·
i swung by the shop today and got everything set up.

They took a bunch of pictures and measurments. All the r & d for this company is done at the home office in south africa so we removed my oe rack and is being prepped for shipping.

I hung out with steve and some of the guys at the shop and even met tina, the gal in charge of northamerica for front runner. They are an awesome group of people and have grown tremendously in the united states.
They just moved into the building they are in about a month ago and are already planning the next expansion.

There racks are highly customizable and everything is built on a rail system allowing for, on the fly, accesorizing. From showers, lights, tents, tables and fluid containers...these racks are stellar!

I'm very honored and lucky to be a apart of this and i want to thank you blain for posting this up. I will keep everyone who is interested updated on the progress as i recieve details. The projected time to completion is said to be about 2-3 months.
all hail toro

#14 ·
So: two months later, and a few days in the office back from SEMA ... any news from the guys at Frontrunner-USA? Really interested to see this move forwards ... hope it works out at a reasonable cost.

#17 ·
Nothing new on my end either.
It's been over a month since my last email with them so I'm sure they are staying busy. Last update I received is that they were thinking of doing a couple different rack designs. One being the full replacement, the other being a 'half rack' meaning you would keep the stock airbox and everything else would be replaced. Hopefully they go through with it

#22 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but why would this be a better/improved design of a roof rack? It looks like a deck, so I'd imagine the top being a sturdier floor to transfer more weight into the attachment points rather than on the roof of the X, so you can have increased load? Or is it customization ability?

A roof rack is the last thing on my mod list (well, before a supercharger but lets face it, I'll never do that lol) and I would like to have a good idea of the benefits of something like this vs a Dephep like I was thinking.

#23 ·
Yup, like you said, the modularity of their system ... plus it's a lower profile. I'd have to check the specs, but I think it's also lighter than other replacement options ... so that's a big benefit (at least in my eyes).

#24 ·
When I was at their place I picked up a 8ft LandRover rack that weighed 30lbs and was rated to carry 600lbs. The accessorizabilty is exponential on this system. From water tanks to awnings to fuel, tires, tents, fold out shower head arms to propane tanks. They even make a Dutch oven carrier for the rack.
What I like the most...When not in use, it will only sit a couple inches off the trucks roof.
The truck will have a lower profile.
All aftermarket racks can be adapter to work with nearly all accessories, but Frontrunner has it dialed in like no other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.