Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Happened on Grizzly Lake on the way down.

Met up with Hattrik21 to do this trail. Unfortunately he couldn't make it up the obstacle, so we split way. This trail has been beat up quite a bit.

Near the top, I smacked the drivers side just above the rear window.

On the way back down, I heard the usual noises except when dropping off a boulder. I though it was something binding in the drive train as if felt like the brakes were slammed for a split second before the loud clunk. Didn't think nothing of it afterwards as there were no unusual sounds. It just sounded like when the plastic coil bucket gets hung up on the adjustment threads, but a bit amplified.

Then I went on Tincup and I started hearing a noise similar to the sound you get from trying to steer past steering lock every time there was pressure on the left front. Looked at the steering and unlocked the hubs. The noise went away, so I was thinking the clunk on Grizzly may have been a hub or something in axle breaking. It would make the noise when in 4 lo with the hub unlocked also.

Caught up with Hattrik21 at Mirror Lake and we made our way to the top of Cottonwood Pass. Started looking a bit and saw the cracked radius arm. Reasoned to myself it was safe to drive 120 miles back home since the other side was in tact.

Made it home with no issues. Couldn't feel anything to indicate it was broke.

So no more wheeling until this is fixed.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That sucks! Hope you can get it back up and running without too much hassle. I may not have a whole lot of mechanical expertise (always willing to learn though) but if you need any help as far as manual labor and such when the time comes, let me know.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
That sucks! Hope you can get it back up and running without too much hassle. I may not have a whole lot of mechanical expertise (always willing to learn though) but if you need any help as far as manual labor and such when the time comes, let me know.
As much as I hate the Trolls, i love the helpful spirit here on thenewX. Kudos to you sir! :salute:

·
Registered
482 Posts
That must have been one wicked trail Eric! So sorry that happened & hope that you're able to repair it soon - we need you out there on the remainder of our trails this summer!

·
on line
2,248 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve @ Calmini called me out of the blue because he had a google alert showing him a post I made on the arms. He is going to send me a set of redesigned arms to try out in week or two.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Steve @ Calmini called me out of the blue because he had a google alert showing him a post I made on the arms. He is going to send me a set of redesigned arms to try out in week or two.
Talk about customer service, you didn't even have to do anything :thumbleft:.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That pic has made it over to the Florida 4x4 group on FB and has been quite the topic of discussion over there. One of the Florida Xterra guys posted it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts