Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 X..I live in the North East and have frequent winter weather and changing temps. I think today is about the 20th time this winter all my windows have frozen shut. If the X has any snow or water on it, and at night when it gets colder, in the morning it takes 30 minutes before I can get the damn things down... Now, I understand this happens once and a while but come on!! I previously had a 1996 4Runner, and it maybe happened once under harsh circumstances...I really think this is a Design Flaw. This morning I couldn't get my back window up on a trip to philly on the highway! It's still down until the sun gets out enough..Anyone else have this problem??

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Mine get frozen up all the time. I tried to put them down this morning after basketball and couldn't. But it's also been single digits for weather here the last several days so it doesn't really surprise me.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have however had the vent visors on for the past 2 years or so. I can't remember if I have gone through a winter without them to be honest.

·
on line
280 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have however had the vent visors on for the past 2 years or so. I can't remember if I have gone through a winter without them to be honest.
X2

It used to happen last winter a lot. This summer I put on the vent visors. I don't remember it happening since.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Thats crazy, although I don't have a back window !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Muzikman said:
I have those and it still freezes!

·
on line
807 Posts
I can't remember a time when I've ever had to put my windows down when it is freezing cold out....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
stevet47 said:
I can't remember a time when I've ever had to put my windows down when it is freezing cold out....
Toll Booths, Drive-Thru Fast Food, Drive up ATM's and Banks, the list goes on. :)

·
on line
3,331 Posts
Muzikman said:
stevet47 said:
Toll Booths, Drive-Thru Fast Food, Drive up ATM's and Banks, the list goes on. :)
E Z pass, bad for you, credit/debit card & direct deposit. All options if you have said window problem.. :geek:

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Come on steve, you're from Pine Grove that's why! I am from Clarks Summit..Yeah acutally my EZ pass wasn't working theis morning, so I had to get out of my car and put the change in...The residents of the City Of Brotherly Love, weren't so loving...

·
on line
254 Posts
I have vent visors and have not had the windows freeze. Normally I keep the window cracked and open it quite a lot for fresh air. Hasn’t been above freezing in a long time, I think that would be called a heat wave.

It’s a dry snow here though, or so says the wife.

Seriously I’ve had a foot of snow on the inside of the door rest and drivers seat after leaving the window open only a quarter inch. With a strong wind the visors still allows a lot of snow on the inside during a blizzard. I clean it off but not all of it and the window has never frozen. Sounds like it is freezing on the outside between the weather stripping and glass?

·
on line
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here in NEPA, It's common to get the storm that starts as snow, goes to rain, back to snow...Then at night it dips rapidly to 10 degrees.. I understand water freezes, but obviously moisture is going where it shouldn't. Even when the windows and car looks dry, they still freeze if it had moisture previously. So who knows..

·
on line
254 Posts
Dougw133 said:
Well here in NEPA, It's common to get the storm that starts as snow, goes to rain, back to snow
Yeah that is why you can shoot BOTH hens and roosters North of 80. The pheasants have a hard time making it through wet cold winters, same in Western Washington State. I see a lot of carry over birds back in the Endless Mountains region of Pa. each year despite the fact they aren’t supposed to be able to winter over because of it.

Smack the inside of the door up high like you mean it. Or put RainX on the door windows. It’s freezing at the weather seal or in the channel. If it is in the channel not much you can do that I'm aware of but if it is your seal then RainX will help.

With manual windows you can feel where it is freezing and sticking. Used to be you could fry your window motor pretty easily because of it but haven’t heard of that in awhile.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Muzikman said:
stevet47 said:
Not to mention hawking loogies at Hummers who cut your off. :sign11:

·
on line
1,361 Posts
stevet47 said:
Same here, if it's cold they stay up.

I don't eat fast food or go through toll booths though.

·
on line
17 Posts
We had some freezing rain/snow here a couple times this winter, and yes my windows froze shut. Even after driving for an hour they were still frozen. I was just wondering what would happen if I crashed and really needed to open the window, I wouldn't be able too! I think its a design flaw, there wasn't much ice on my window. Seems very weak to me.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
I have ventvisors, and my windows still freeze. The first time it happened, I pulled a ballpoint pen out of the console. Didn't really work all that well. I found a better option when I was doing a kitchen project at home. The cheap plastic putty knives work great. They are flexible, won't puncture the molding like the ballpoint pen accidentally did, and take up no space in my glove box.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Have that problem myself, usually ok after 30min with the heater blasting. I was wondering if a thin layer of white grease along the top molding would work?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts