1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The transmission fill and drain will do for the tcase adapter. There isn't much in there. It has a plane inside that divides it in half. I think only the trans side has fluid in it. Let me see if I can find a pic...

This is the best pic I found... You can see something though...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
After looking at a cross section I found on all data I think it may be a manual access point to the low/high range shift fork.
This is done by removing the black control actuator attached to the tcase. The adapter is completely separate. It's just an aluminum housing with nothing in it other than a seal. There isn't even a gasket between it and the tcase.

·
on line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is done by removing the black control actuator attached to the tcase. The adapter is completely separate. It's just an aluminum housing with nothing in it other than a seal. There isn't even a gasket between it and the tcase.
So... I see a stub shaft from the Tcase, looks hollow and likely has splines inside, there must be a shaft from the transmission that goes through this spacer directly into the tcase? With no bearings in the spacer? If that's so, then there should be no oil in the spacer. Correct?

In checking further, I see in the post about converting from 2WD to 4WD:
ASSEMBLY:
1)Place bearing race on the adapter assembly and ensure that the rear oil seal is installed
2)Install the needle bearing, parking prawl spring, parking prawl, prawl shaft, and the parking actuator support
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usmma_11_nc/7309784910/

then later:
5)install the bearing race on the output shaft and place gasket on the transmission case
6)place the adapter case assembly onto the transmission case and tighten the bolts to 38ft*lb (self sealing bolts are tightened to 45ft*lb)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usmma_11_nc/7309740800/

Not sure if the race and needle bearings are in the adapter case or not....

·
Registered
5,402 Posts

Are you an auto or mt? Because on the mt it is this,

The plug at the back is what he is asking on. I believe since his 06 says sold and the 12 is a mt.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm an auto. No adapter PLATE for me. Just adapter CASE.

When converting to 4x4 the apater case took place of the tail cone on 2wd models. The tail cone is the rear seal and carries fluid. The rear driveshaft would then slip over the output shaft of the transmission. With the adapter case it takes place of the tail cone and seals the transmission. Then the tcase slips over the output shaft and bolts to the adapter. Then the rear driveshaft slips over the new tcase output shaft. The spline count is the same on all shafts. Just as an FYI.

·
on line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Are you an auto or mt? Because on the mt it is this,

The plug at the back is what he is asking on. I believe since his 06 says sold and the 12 is a mt.
Correct I have a 2012 MT. this diagram seems to indicate that there are no bearings inside the adapter case. thanks

Upon closer inspection, I suspect the plug I see is the #3 Return Spring Plug.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Either way, don't remove that plug. Best case scenario there is nothing behind there, worst case and more likely is the spring and plug fly out.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Correct I have a 2012 MT. this diagram seems to indicate that there are no bearings inside the adapter case. thanks

Upon closer inspection, I suspect the plug I see is the #3 Return Spring Plug.
Pretty sure it is, there are also bearings and gears. As long as your transmission is full there will be fluid back there.

·
on line
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty sure it is, there are also bearings and gears. As long as your transmission is full there will be fluid back there.
Thanks, I was wondering which case it got the oil from. But I think I'll leave the plug alone...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts