Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the searching I have done it appears that altitude does NOT affect viscosity.... but I thought I would pick the great minds on here to be sure.

I'm living at 10,200ft now so if viscosity is affected by altitude I will need to adjust my upcoming Amsoil order appropriately.

Any wisdom on the subject would be greatly appreciated. :salute:

Also is anyone running 75w-110 or 75w-140 in their difs(c200 or r180)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
This is a great question, because the two are easy to confuse. Density is mass (or weight) per volume. Viscosity is how fast a substance flows through a hole driven by a given force (usually gravity).A substance like mercury can be very high density and low viscosity.A substance like whipped cream can be very low density and very high viscosity.One of the confusions is that viscosity is not changed by altitude (pressure). Even though the atmosphere's density is extremely low at high altitude, the viscosity is about the same as at sea level

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_does_density_affect_viscosity#page3

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is about the only link I could find when I searched myself. I generally don't like basing my decisions off one source....and that brought me here to ask.

Thanks for searching the subject as well 21SF!

It doesn't seem that the altitude will affect things enough to warrant a change in oil weight, ill likely stick with factory weights.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
From my fuels and lube class...
Altitude does not affect viscosity.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for confirming my suspicion Early, appreciate the response.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Temperature does, though! ... and it gets cold in Leadville in the winter, no?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Higher or lower pressure might, but at only 10,200ft, it's not going to be an issue! Please, only use the Nissan specs for oil viscosity!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts