Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I posted in the electronics forum about how I hard wired my nav system. To keep the install clean, I mounted the nav system to the storage tray above the radio on the dash and drilled a hole in the tray to run the wires down. My intention was to purchase a "spare" tray in case I ever wanted to sell the vehicle or put it back to stock. Imagine my surprise when I went to the dealer today and was told that the tray is $60.25!!!! $60 for a 2oz piece of plastic with 4 tabs on it. I was floored.

So, learn from my lesson. Before you want to hack something up, make sure you can go back to what you originally had without having to sell your first born child.

That is all.

·
on line
280 Posts
The other day I hauled 2 bookshelves for the girlfriend. Turns out one of them had a nail head protruding out of the back and it dug into and tore a dime size rip it the center console cover. I figured no biggie, it can't be more than $20 or so to replace. Turns out the part is $50! UGH...

·
on line
641 Posts
bluzfan said:
The other day I hauled 2 bookshelves for the girlfriend. Turns out one of them had a nail head protruding out of the back and it dug into and tore a dime size rip it the center console cover.
Shortly after I got my X I got a small tear in the center console cover. I fixed it by using some contact cement that I applied to both the cover fabric and the padding underneath with a toothpic. A bit of drying time, then carefully press them together, and I don't even notice the tear.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I too put a cigerette lighter plug up in the tray. If I ever sell it it's a feature!

Dealers just don't care. I traded in my '98 Honda CR-V which was in perfect shape - not a hole, dent, or spot on it ... the dealer went out, looked at the VIN, popped the hood to make sure their was an engine with a matching VIN and was done with it. His people didn't look inside or outside the car for condition. There could have been stains on the carpet, tears in the seat fabric, and a butcher job on the indash stereo system ... they just didn't care. Got $8000 for the thing last year which was right where Kelly Blue Book said it should be.

The little rubber mat will cover the hole if I decide to take the lighter jack out - the one I got has a fancy little cap/cover to keep junk out of the hole. I ran 12 gauge wire to the underdash "marine" fuse box I installed so that I could run heavy duty loads off the new jack.

·
on line
87 Posts
NOCM said:
A few weeks back I posted in the electronics forum about how I hard wired my nav system. To keep the install clean, I mounted the nav system to the storage tray above the radio on the dash and drilled a hole in the tray to run the wires down. My intention was to purchase a "spare" tray in case I ever wanted to sell the vehicle or put it back to stock. Imagine my surprise when I went to the dealer today and was told that the tray is $60.25!!!! $60 for a 2oz piece of plastic with 4 tabs on it. I was floored.

So, learn from my lesson. Before you want to hack something up, make sure you can go back to what you originally had without having to sell your first born child.

That is all.

Wow that sucks. I did the same thing, and was thinking the same thing. Bastards.

·
on line
264 Posts
theres a cover over that panel over the radio all you have to do it take off the cover and then if u want to remove it place the cover on and hole is gone!

·
on line
135 Posts
NOCM said:
I went to the dealer today and was told that the tray is $60.25!!!! $60 for a 2oz piece of plastic with 4 tabs on it. I was floored.
That is all.
Dude, I think you are getting hosed. I did the same with my tray and looked online at courtesyparts.com. I think the tray was like $26, not $60.

·
on line
87 Posts
On the courtesy site now, it's $43.53 (good god), and it's out of stock. For 3 square inches of plastic. $45. I put a hole through it with a nail file. And it's $45.

FYI: Product SKU: 68252-N50001

1 - 9 of 9 Posts