Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, haven't seen this one before. Driving my way into work this morning, very simple, about 5 mile urban commute. Going about 30 mph, hear a bang, then a metal on pavement skidding. Look in mirror and see a piece of metal sliding down the road. Luckily, my wife was following me, and paying attention. (Usually we ride together, but she has meetings this evening). She was able to stop, pick up piece, and call me, as I stopped on the next block.

This is what she found.

Then I looked under my drivers side and see this.

Looks like its time to lift. How terrible. But really, just wondering why or how could this even happen? Doesn't look like there is any damage underneath. I am at work, in work clothes, so don't feel like crawling under truck. But really. X has just under 80k, no suspension mods, so far. I did take it up into the Adirondack mountains two weeks ago, did some minor wheeling, and have not driven it too much since then. But still......

I'm considering it safe to drive, it broke well ahead of the u-bolts. Anyone feel different?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
What's up CUSE!!!! I'm from the area!! I would say it's a mixture of your vehicle being from that area and just absolutely abused in the winter by the copious amount of salt that western NY uses and the fact that the Xterra has notoriously crappy leaf springs. They flatten out easy!! When I towed my 5x8 trailer from there to Denver there was a noticeable sag in the rear end.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah they don't call it salt city for nothin! I'll be moving back to the 'cuse next month.

It's probably fine to drive minimally - but if it were my vehicle I'd drive it little as possible until I got replacements. Sounds like you can carpool pretty easily.

I love the attitude... that's how I feel about things that break. Now time to learn something new and upgrade! :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, there are a lot of this that I like living in the area. Actually, I really enjoy winters as well. But I hate everything about the salt. I just can't believe that it would happen so early. Oh well.

I figure I might as well have the attitude. I wanted to lift soon anyways, but baby is do in less than two months (super excited) and figure there are better things to spend my money on now. Oh well. Wife will actually agree on this one too!

So question now is, would a simple AAL and spacer lift provide enough support? I remember reading up that some leafs are even taken out sometimes...but can't find that thread. I'm thinking something simple, and cost efficient, like http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.p...tegory_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72 or from revtek or prg.

Opinions on an AAL being enough support?...Replace broken leaf and put in AAL? Or remove broken leaf and simple install AAL?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
AAL = Add a leaf.

You'll likely need a new leaf pack entirely. Either a full aftermarket pack, or an OEM w/an AAL.

If you dont want a lift, find a standard replacement full pack or buy the OEM one again. Also I would coat it in something (rustoleum?) to help with the winters.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You need a whole new pack, not an AAL.

I suppose you could replace the single leaf, but the rest of the pack is questionable IMHO.

I bought the OME pack from Nisstec, its squeaky but worked out well. There is also a spring company in Fulton that may be able to do something for you.

Not sure how my landlady would feel about me having someone over here to work on their truck, but I have pretty much all the tools and just did mine about 2 months back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry, in my head it made sense. I should have specified. I was asking if I could simply AAL to my current situation, which after thinking about that for about 30 seconds would be a terrible idea. If they broke that easily, what would prevent the others from breaking? So sorry about that useless, stupid, not thinking question.

But now, doing a little research, I'm finding https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra-medium-duty-rear-lift-leaf-pack-p-6182.html and http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.p...tegory_id=173&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

Besides squeaky, any other experience with these? If I understand correctly, these themselves add 1.5 inches, so no addition AAL would be necessary, unless you wanted to go higher. Are spacers substantial additions to level the front, or are coil overs needed? Any other recommendations for full leaf pack replacement that includes some lift?

Unfortunately I do have to be reasonable as far as price. Can't go for the $1100 complete Suspension w/ Dakar leafs.

Thanks. Hopefully I made more sense this time.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I gained 1 5/8" over stock (my truck had 15k on the clock at the time) with just the OME leafs and an aftermarket bumper (no tire carrier).

Do you want another 1.5" of rake (a$$ in the air)? Odds are you are sagging in the back anyway, so realistically you will see 2+ inches higher in the rear then you sit today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My current ground to bottom-of-fender measurements are 35 for the rear and 34 for the front. So if I added another 1.5 to 2 inches to the rear, wouldn't I want something in the front to level it? Or am I just misunderstanding....?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My current ground to bottom-of-fender measurements are 35 for the rear and 34 for the front. So if I added another 1.5 to 2 inches to the rear, wouldn't I want something in the front to level it? Or am I just misunderstanding....?
if you lift it in the rear I'd lift it in the front too. you have some options...you could just do a spacer, or you could do lift coils. do you like the way your truck rides now? would you want it stiffer? do you plan on adding weight to the vehicle by adding bumpers/gear/skids/sliders? if yes then I'd go with lift coils...like the TJM medium duty coils or the OME light duty coils. if you don't want it to ride any different, just add a spacer on top of the front coils. the other issues you will face are the fact that you may have coil bucket contact, and you'll want to add cam bolts to the LCA's to get a proper alignment. Thats honestly where the most expensive part of lifting comes into play. your LCA bolts are most likely seized, so you'll need new LCA's because you will have to cut the old ones out. and if you want to not have coil bucket contact, you'll want aftermarket UCA's as well. new LCA's cost about 300 bucks, new aftermarket UCA's cost about 400 bucks, cam bolts are about 75, plus your 400 dollar leaf packs and thats not even talking about getting new shocks, or anything. lifting is expensive to do it right. unless you can afford to do it right, you should try to find someone getting rid of a stock low milage set of leaf packs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't want this to turn into another lift thread. And I know I started that. Damn.

Decided I'm going to PM some members on here and see what I can find used. Have sent some PMs already, hoping someone has a used set they no longer need. Then I will just wait until after baby comes and buy a complete lift later. I just got excited earlier then I thought I had a good reason to buy a lift. Oh well.

Back on original topic, I still just can't believe that it would break in the first place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But thanks for all your help, and convincing me not to jump the gun. I do that too much when I get excited about things.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
But thanks for all your help, and convincing me not to jump the gun. I do that too much when I get excited about things.
no problem dude, i just know from experience that theres more than meets the eye. you tend to forget about some stuff that you need to do and it adds up quick. its better that you wait so you can do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Check out the suspension forum category and there is a sticky at the top- something like lift options. Basically a well put together list of all your options for lifting and explanations, pros and cons plus pictures and links to products. It's lengthy but you'll definitely learn a ton and understand what people are talking about when you're browsing reviews, for sale threads and build threads.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 26 Posts