Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Hypertech tuner, and the regular gas tune, and very happy with that.. Now if I was to add a CAI, would I need to update the tuner or do something, or just install, and ECU will readjust ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just put an AEM CAI on mine a few months ago with a Hypertech 93 tune installed. Didn't even disconnect the battery and the truck now runs like a raped ape! I love it.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
these types of tuners are not tunable from mod to mod. for example in your case, if you install a CAI, theres no way in the tuner to be like, "oh i just installed an intake, let me click on the intake tune". They are just tunes set for different grades of fuel. I'm pretty sure they base their tunes off a stock vehicle so your a/f ratios aren't going to be optimal. The only way to tune per mod is if you had uprev or something similar. Don't get me wrong, I think these types of tuners are a good bang for your buck (I have the bullydog), but if you're looking for maximum power its not the best route.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I did the air box mod (big difference, more than I expected) IMS (great addition, well worth it IMO) and Hypertech Max Energy (the WOT restrict delete is obvious). Mine runs like a 'raped ape' you could say... :)

I reprogrammed it when I put the IMS on, already had AB mod.

So if they are designed to run at peak performance based on stock, it would be best in my case (and many others with even just one or two air/exhaust mods) not to run the HT programmer at all? The WOT restrict delete IMO is the one worth keeping and the easiest to un-do unfortunately. Is this correct? It's easy enough to delete and sell, thought I was building peak engine performance by combining the three? Also want the magnaflow Y-pipe whether it sells tommorrow or next year. Thanks for any credible info.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just put an AEM CAI on mine a few months ago with a Hypertech 93 tune installed. Didn't even disconnect the battery and the truck now runs like a raped ape! I love it.
I had my battery disconnected for three days and put the programmer back in the port since I figured it was deleted. It listed my options and said it was installed. They're worth it for the code reader IMO, if it works. Mine has never shown a code - a good thing of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I did the air box mod (big difference, more than I expected) IMS (great addition, well worth it IMO) and Hypertech Max Energy (the WOT restrict delete is obvious). Mine runs like a 'raped ape' you could say... :)

I reprogrammed it when I put the IMS on, already had AB mod.

So if they are designed to run at peak performance based on stock, it would be best in my case (and many others with even just one or two air/exhaust mods) not to run the HT programmer at all? The WOT restrict delete IMO is the one worth keeping and the easiest to un-do unfortunately. Is this correct? It's easy enough to delete and sell, thought I was building peak engine performance by combining the three? Also want the magnaflow Y-pipe whether it sells tommorrow or next year. Thanks for any credible info.
Posted via Mobile Device
you misinterpreted me....running with those mods and the tuner is going to be more beneficial than without the tuner...but im saying if you want optimum performance, something that you can customize your tune would be best. I'm not entirely sure how the HT programmer works, but I assume it is similar to the bullydog and the cortex tuner. They simply offer different tunes based on what grade of fuel you are using, not based on what mods you have done to the engine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep, unplugged the battery with tune installed when doing the IMS, hooked everything up and the tune was still there.
Here's my mods in order of installation: Magnaflow cat-back with Y-pipe, Hypertech Max Energy, AEM CAI, Full Synthetic Oil, IMS.
This fall comes headers and PRG motor mounts and aside from routine maintenance the engine will be done.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, unplugged the battery with tune installed when doing the IMS, hooked everything up and the tune was still there.
Which means if you disconnect the battery, let's say for an hour or so to do some work, the tune will still be there ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts