Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Do yo leave the shackle all the time on the truck, and were they stolen

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
5,614 Posts
I leave 1 to attach my winch cable to, but the rest are in my recovery bag. I thought about putting them on really tight, but it would be a pain for me to actually use them when I need them.
When you need them they're already on! I have extras that I keep in my recovery kit for attaching straps, etc. Extra clevis shackles are a good idea; esp. when wheelin with dopes that don't have any
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,618 Posts
When you need them they're already on! I have extras that I keep in my recovery kit for attaching straps, etc. Extra clevis shackles are a good idea; esp. when wheelin with dopes that don't have any
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, Oz, I understand that they are already on when you need the. But in the situation that you need to use a strap, then if the are over tightened, you have to pull a crescent wrench and loosen it up. The way that I was taught, and the general rule of thumb for using a clevis shackle, is to bottom out the threads, and then back it off a half turn.

·
on line
4,592 Posts
I try to keep the weight of my truck down as much as possible, so no I don't leave them on all the time.

I keep them in my recovery bag, with my strap and tools.

I've been known to keep them on once installed on the trail though.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
I try to keep the weight of my truck down as much as possible, so no I don't leave them on all the time.

I keep them in my recovery bag, with my strap and tools.

I've been known to keep them on once installed on the trail though.
Not being a smartass but how does keeping them in a bag make them any lighter than bolted to your truck? Besides the weight of even 4 shackles you would never see
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Just tighten the $hit outta them
Posted via Mobile Device
If you over tighten and then use them with alot of tension then they will not un-screw again and will have to be cut off to remove them!
Yes, Oz, I understand that they are already on when you need the. But in the situation that you need to use a strap, then if the are over tightened, you have to pull a crescent wrench and loosen it up. The way that I was taught, and the general rule of thumb for using a clevis shackle, is to bottom out the threads, and then back it off a half turn.
To back them off a half turn is the correct way to use the shackles! I don't leave mine on because they bang back and forth and the noise bothers me along with the fact that they do scratch the paint off, plus some @ss hole will steal them soon or later!!!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I leave mine on tighten with a wrench and kept from rattling with a plastic wire tie. They've been on a couple of years and haven't chipped paint yet.

·
on line
2,882 Posts
Mine are always on. O-rings on each side and tightened up. They don't swing at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
4,592 Posts
Not being a smartass but how does keeping them in a bag make them any lighter than bolted to your truck?

It's like jumping up in an elevator when it starts up, makes it lighter. :D

I generally don't take my recovery gear during daily driving activities. I'm not likely to be in a situation at 5' of elevation on flat land that would require more than my winch can recover me from (the winch remote is always with me). Same is true for anyone I may come upon that requires assistance. Beyond that, sit tight CHP will be along in a minute. :D

10# is 10#. Although the total weight of my recovery bag exceeds 25#, extra, unnecessary weight is exactly that. It's a proven formula, reduce your weight, increase your MPG. Every little bit helps over the long term usage of the vehicle.

·
on line
4,592 Posts
Jenny Craig.

:D

That would be funnier if it weren't so true.

~Xknut
Who is short for his weight.

·
on line
9,460 Posts
I used a crescent wrench to torque the shackles tighter than all hell. I use additional shackles to attach tow and snatch straps when off-roading. I live in Philadelphia where crime and theft is moderate and no one has stolen any of my (4) shackles off my Shrock bumpers.

·
on line
10,133 Posts
i had them on the truck for over a year with rubber bushing/o-rings on each side. living in the arid climate of CO, the rubber dried out and cracked. then the d-rings started slapping the bumper everytime i would go out on trail. so, i said screw it and took them all off. now they're in my recovery gear bag - which is in the truck at all times.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts