Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey sports fans, how's it going?
If you hate power wires for your various accessories cluttering up your dash then I have a solution for you.

Here's what I did.

I got a GPS unit and needed to run the power cable, but I did not want to hard wire the unit in case I needed to move it from one car to another (infrequently) I hate having wires in the truck, so I installed an aftermarket 12V socket in the space behind the 4WD selector switch. There is plenty of room there and the wires to tap into the existing outlet are right there.

I snaked the power cord from the outlet up to the top of the stereo and then drilled a small hole in the tray on the top of the dash. One small grommet and Voila! a clean install that is not totally permanent.

All I need to do now is purchase a replacement dasah piece for if/when I sell the truck and I don't want a hole in the dash.

Total time spent...about 30 min. Having a clean install? Priceless.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I did the same trick, I drilled my hole where that little matt that lays in there will cover it when I go to sell it. I have like 3 wires that pop up through there, GPS, Radar, and a Mine Stereo 8 cable. Nice. Any old plug will work to plug the hole, they sell em at hardware stores and if yours did not come with the little matt for the tray i am sure you can make one or buy one cheap. MC

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never taken pics for forums... This might be the time to do so for the good of the free world. :)

I'll see if I can snap a few this week and figure out how to post them up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts