Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched , read the threads and currently know that we have a 110 and 130 amp alternator that came from Nissan.

The service manual says there are 2 types for the Xterra.
Both are made by Hitachi
1. LR1130-701/12v-130Amps
2. LR1110-725/12v-110Amps (plagarized)

Just sent a query to Mean Green. Stay tuned.

·
on line
576 Posts
If you send in your alternator to Mean Green, they will make one for us. I thought I had an alternator problem awhile back and gave them a call. They were more than willing to use mine to make one, but it didn't end up being my alternator that was the problem.

·
on line
106 Posts
If I recall correctly our alternator is on the bottom of our rig so crossing deep water it could cause a problem. Is it possible to use a marine altenator that is water resistant.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I think it's hitachi that makes a water cooled, completely sealed alternator. The brackets would have to be modified to get it to mount and it's not cheap.

That being said, it's no so much the deep water as the deep mud that causes problems.

I am in the process of rebuilding my original alternator. What seems to go bad in them is the bearings. My 2nd alt is now going.

Once I get the rebuilt one back in the X, maybe I'll send them Mean Green the current one before I rebuild it too.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
My alternator makes noise after going through mud. It sounds a little like letting a playing card riffle in bike wheel spokes. After a while, the noise goes away.

A sealed, more powerful unit would be a great improvement, especially because I want lots of juice for camping and recovery.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
When the bearings go, you know it. It makes a constant loud chatter noise. Not matter how sell you clean it or lube it, it doesn't go away.

When i pulled my last alternator out the amount of play in the shaft was amazing.

The good news is that bearings are available from the dealer, bad news they are $50.

I'll have a how to here in a couple weeks on how to rebuild the alternator. I am waiting for the bearings to come in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts