Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Does it make sense to build your own OR model?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around here even the 4x4's are hard to find and finding an off road model is next to impossible. I searched nine dealers on-line inventories and found two off road models and not in my first three choices of colors. There is no way I'm buying a second Super Black vechical.

So what do you think of a do-it-yourself off road conversion of an S model?

Even if I got the OR model I'd likely pull off the Nissan plates and put a set of Shrockwork's. There are plenty of good quality off road shocks available. I have the skill set to do both of these mod's myself.

Better tires can be bought along with the matching rims (doesn't anyone make honest steel non-bling-bling rims?).

That leaves the locking differential which is likely beyond my ability to install myself. I've poked around and found some for about $750 and I'd have to figure a couple three hours worth of labor for $1000 or a bit more installed.

At the end of the day I would have spent more than the difference between the S and OR models from Nissan but I would have a better quality truck with hand picked top quality parts.

Have I missed anything? Think I should keep digging thru the inventories until I find an OR model that meets what I'm looking for?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
There are NO locking differentials for the 05-06 Xterras!!!!!!!!! We have some people currently talking to ARB to try and get them to make some. so If you really want a locking differential right now you should build yourself the OR model.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Yep, I think a do it your self is better but there are no locking differentials the ABLS is pretty good on handling slips thought

·
on line
641 Posts
Re: Do-it-yourself off road model

PaulXyZ said:
Around here even the 4x4's are hard to find and finding an off road model is next to impossible. I searched nine dealers on-line inventories and found two off road models and not in my first three choices of colors. There is no way I'm buying a second Super Black vechical.

So what do you think of a do-it-yourself off road conversion of an S model?

Even if I got the OR model I'd likely pull off the Nissan plates and put a set of Shrockwork's. There are plenty of good quality off road shocks available. I have the skill set to do both of these mod's myself.

Better tires can be bought along with the matching rims (doesn't anyone make honest steel non-bling-bling rims?).

That leaves the locking differential which is likely beyond my ability to install myself. I've poked around and found some for about $750 and I'd have to figure a couple three hours worth of labor for $1000 or a bit more installed.

At the end of the day I would have spent more than the difference between the S and OR models from Nissan but I would have a better quality truck with hand picked top quality parts.

Have I missed anything? Think I should keep digging thru the inventories until I find an OR model that meets what I'm looking for?
Order an OR with the options and color you want, will be delivered in 4 to 6 weeks. Then mod it.

·
on line
1,667 Posts
just go to the closest dealer and they can find one fore you. my dealership drove 44 miles and traded a spankin new armada for my sale. they didnt find canteen green but they got my second choice. canteen green is nearly impossible to find.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
matrix12480 said:
just go to the closest dealer and they can find one fore you. my dealership drove 44 miles and traded a spankin new armada for my sale. they didnt find canteen green but they got my second choice. canteen green is nearly impossible to find.
lol mine had to drive 150 miles to get mine. I bought it at noon it was here by 7 pm

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn (n00b), my mistake ... I had seen the locking diff's and figured they made them for the new model too.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
If you really want off road performance you can go Ponyboy's route with the SAS. That a set you back a little more than time though...

·
on line
291 Posts
I'm sure it's been said before, if you are just going to be doing mild offroading (fire road, muddy fields) then get the OR model. If you want to go rock crawling and be able to go anywhere then get the S or SE and just start replacing everything with better stuff.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
This conversion has already been done. Cornick converted his S to an OR including the locking diff. But how he did it? Well, that is a secret.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I wanted an OR non available, so I looked at the difference and figured ARB would come out with a Locker and maybe both. So I went S 4X4 with power package. Of the things that would have come with an OR model I tossed .............

The Stereo out ...........and put in my own 1450 watt model.
The speakers.......... Now all Alpine Plus a Sub and two amps.
The Tires...........and Put on BFG 285 75 16's AT KO's
The rear shocks........ And went with Pro Comp adjustable 2 year warranty
The Shackles.........and used a Daystar greasable set.
The Front Bumper,........ and used a Shrockworks with a mm Winch.
The Rear Bumper......and used a Shrockworks with Tire carrier.
The Mudflaps (4) and replaced em with nothings.
The Floor matts...... and used Weathertech in front Factory rubber rear.
The Roof bin handle... and replaced with southco locking.
The Air Filter.....and replaced with a K&N
The Fog light Covers ......and replaced with Yournissanparts Fog Light kit.
The License plate holder.....and replaced with home made fold down.
The factory Skids with....Shrockworks. Factory one's were added, waste!

I wish I could add:
A wider set of wheels to match the tires, or have gone with OR size tires.
Maybe a set of lockers, not sure I need em though, works great without!

I did add. (In addition to the crap I replaced above)
4 KC DAYLIGHTERS Hi Lights on Roof Bin, (Removable)
Daystar Front Spacers.
Shrockworks Sliders, No sliders on factory S
Shrockworks Skids, No skids, but I bought paper factory OR skids.
Matching size Spare tire,
CB Uniden PC78XL Road King 56 NC Mic.
Cobra Radar detector,
A Uniden BC12 Scanner
A sound Machine, (Had to be at ECXC to hear that! )
A Junk Rocky Mountain Radar- Radar Jammer (Don't work it's a farce)
2 alarm systems,
multiple switches for things,
An Under the seat Air Compressor,
Carbon Fiber trim.
Lots of HP (Decals)
A set of fog lamps (yellow) in addition to factory white ones.
Snork for the rear Diff.
A Roof Basket,
2 Hi Lift Jacks, One 48 and one 60"
Locking Wheel Lugs,
AC power,
A SUB with the stereo,
A Cool Floor liner for the back.
A Bolt on Inside locking bike rack.
3 Flashlight holders, 1 3D cell and two AA Call.
2 Lev O Gages.
A YourNissanParts keypad! (Love it!)
And a Set Of OFF ROAD Badges.... I think it deserves them. It's much more capable than a stock OR model. They do look cool, I went with three, added one to the rear hatch above the handle.

I will be adding,
A Gibson exhaust,
An Air Tank and an Air Horn,
Spare water tank,
Spare gas tank.
A Remote start when they come out with a T harness.

So, I am real glad I kept the OR package $ and used it for what I wanted. Had I got the OR package, I'd have the seat covers, and the locker left out of what comes with it. Oh! And a VDC that I would never use. So there you have it! It goes where I need it to, and places I should not go!

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
USMC XTERRA said:
I wanted an OR non available, so I looked at the difference and figured ARB would come out with a Locker and maybe both. So I went S 4X4 with power package. Of the things that would have come with an OR model I tossed .............

Dang ... what's left of the original truck? :)

I learned my lesson with my Z in that factory is good but you can do a whole lot better with custom picked after market parts. You seem to have replaced a good majority of the OEM parts and I'm willing to bet that your way way WAY ahead of the OR OEM vechical's abiities. The Xterra is likely to be a hobby truck/daily ride so I can't go too extreme but I am going to modify the thing.

I found an 4x4 S model for $21450 with the tow package which is a good start for price and equipment. I do plan on tossing the radio and dropping in something with a GPS in dash.

PS: I'm going to cut and paste your shopping list from above. :)

Semper Fi/Vis Per Mare

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Yea, I should have listed the list of stuff I bought that did not work out or was not what they were claimed to be.

The Muffler was a mistake, and the factory rubber weather mats (Except the rear) Just to think of two off the top of my head.

MC

·
on line
39 Posts
too bad I cant convert my 4x2 to a 4x4.....

·
on line
82 Posts
Hi Paul,

Before I read your post I was about to reply "No freaking way" but it looks like you thought stuff through. There is NOTHING wrong with the S model but if you want to wheel with it you should think about the locker.

I was offroading in Moab Utah this year for the Gathering of Nissan Enthusiasts (GONE Moab). My Offroad model would follow or lead 2 guys with a 2005 S model. I followed them quite a bit because to be honest the difficulty of the Moab trails were over my head. The S models had much difficulty with certain sections, they would be in 4WD low, and get 2 opposite wheels stuck and the other two would spin. It would take them repeated attempts (some times as many as 5 or 6 tries) to conquer those obstacles. That always informed me to lock my Offroad diff and I was up and over on the first try. They both mentioned to me that they should have got the locking diff. Even though 90% of the time we probably won't use the locking diff they wanted it for that 10 (OK maybe 5) percent of the time when you would need it.

If you are going to buy a locking diff and install it then I would say no you don't need anything else. Most people wouldn't go as far as you and replace a perfectly good diff.

So I answered it depends, if you change out the diff and that works for you with your budget and time, then go for it man.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I'm S model and Locked. :)

*hi-fives Pony*

·
on line
429 Posts
cornick said:
I'm S model and Locked. :)

*hi-fives Pony*
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that project set you back?

I believe this swap would be cost prohibitive IF you had to buy the OR locker from the dealer. Makes a lot more sense if you score one like cornick did, or from a wrecked X.

·
on line
279 Posts
Don't know where you're located, but here in L.A., I searched 27 dealerships within a 50 mile radius for an OR. 6 had 1 OR 4x4 model each, and only 1 had exactly what I wanted (of course it was the one 50 miles away). I looked in the classifieds (Recycler, out here) and found a used 05 with 5900 miles. It was the color I wanted with everything but the side curtain air bags. Saved over 9k over the 06.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got one in my sights - Sliver ...

Silver
4x4
Auto
Rockford Fosgate
Floor mats
Micro-filter
Mud flaps
Tow package

$26,483 which is $1000 under invoice according to msn.autos :cheers:

I could really do without the Rockford Fosgate system as I really wanted to upgrade to a Pioneer navigation sytem. Anyone ever drop a Garmin into that pocket above the radio?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts