Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have switched to Amsoil Syn. for everything except automatic transmission, and that was at 10000K. Now is time to change the tranny fluid, and after reading all kind of stories here, I'll do it at dealer to be on safe side. When reading my maintenance booklet, it says replace automatic transmission fluid, and "optional" flush the transmission with ATF. Does this mean I have to ask the dealer to flush it before replacing ? I thought it will be flushed anyway, or is it an extra procedure, and extra cost obviously ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
If no tranny problems, I would do a simple drain and fill at home using any of various brands of fluid approved for Japanese autos as labeled on jug. Can do this many times for cost of paying a shop. Have heard more than once of people having problems after a flush.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I'm not a proponent of power flushes. Some people argue that power flushes can be more damaging than helpful.

Personally, I started doing drain and fills at 20,000 miles with Amsoil. I do the drain and fill every 20,000 miles (approx. 1 year).

I'm at 140,000 miles now, and my fluid is pink! So far, my transmission has not given me any problems.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I read about few problems after flushing, so I guess I can skip that part, and go Amsoil Syn in that case ? And is capacity 10.9 quarts as on Amsoil site ? Nissan does not mention capacity in their specs ?

Edit: from Nissan Manual : "Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF or Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty." Now I know they want you like everybody else to use their own fluids, but they only mention this warning for the auto tranny, and not for the manual one, or transfer case, or diffs. Also on Amsoil's web in vehicle application guide, they mention to use Nissan fluid for the automatic transmission in their notes. Maybe there's something about it ???

·
Registered
575 Posts
As with any auto, you'll only get about 1/3 of fluid out by draining - measure what you drain so you are close - do not overfill - check dipstick when tranny is hot, engine at idle. Use OEM fluid if your concerned.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As with any auto, you'll only get about 1/3 of fluid out by draining - measure what you drain so you are close - do not overfill - check dipstick when tranny is hot, engine at idle. Use OEM fluid if your concerned.
Thanks, I just spoke with Amsoil tech department, and according to them no worries at all, their product # ATLQT-EA meets and exceeds Nissan Matic S or J. Now back to your answer for the 1/3, my problem is that I have to mail order the fluid from Amsoil, and I don't know how much to order. I guess I won't be needing 10.9 quarts, but if anybody did it maybe you can tell roughly how much, Should I go by 1/3 of 10.9 and order 4 or 5 quarts ? Will it be enough ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
my problem is that I have to mail order the fluid from Amsoil, and I don't know how much to order.
When I did just a change (not a flush) on my 05 tranny it used either 3 and change or 4 and change - I think it was a little over 4, so get yourself 5 (assuming the capacity on the 05 and yours are the same).

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will get 5 Qt, get some Amsoil, and do just the drain. I just called my Nissan dealer, service department, and they said on newer models, they don't do the flush anymore, just the drain, unless mileage is over 160K or 100000 miles, then they "might" do a flush, but even then, he said they normally go for just a drain on the newer models. Called another Nissan dealer in the area, and he said same thing, he did not even have a price for the flush in his system, just drain. He said that if I insisted to flush, they'll charge me by time and product used, as they don't have a figure, so I guess they're doing only drain. I would tend to think that dealers would push for the flush to sell more fluid, and make more money.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sounds about right. When I asked my local dealer about flushes vs change for the 05 earlier this year he said the trannys were not supposed to be flushed (at least with a machine - the PMF sounds different) and they wouldn't do them. Fluid change only. If you're just doing a change and not trying to get coolant our burned fluid out of the transmission you probably shouldn't worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts