Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pulled all 4 tires off to check my brakes. I get that crazy squeeking noise when the truck is cold. First thing in the morning, especially when in reverse. It looks like I have lots of life left on the pads. Can anyone out there who is a brake expert give me an opinion.

Front passenger

Rear passenger

Rear Driver side

Any help would be great!!

Thanks,
Mike

·
on line
443 Posts
looks good, maybe just some grooving has created the noise?

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rotors seem pretty smooth as well. Not much grooving at all
I thought they looked like lots of pad left.

·
on line
14 Posts
I had the same problem after having some fun!!! Usually I just go out to the car was and just spay water through the spokes. Yes you have to get on the ground to get the back side of all the pads. Sometimes dirt get in between the pads and rotors causing the noise!!! Well that's what I have experienced. Something to remember, a few times I just said what the hell and just didn't clean them out. I does wear you pads and rotors really fast!!!

·
on line
1,420 Posts
pad life looks great.....use brake cleen and eliminate brake material, may help, then apply brake anti squeel gel.......probably not needed though....

the noise when reversing is nothing to worry about, cars are driven 99.9% of the time in fwd.....the pads, especially cheesy oem pads (most manufacturers) wear semi(microscopically) directional i.e. fwd.....Sooo, when u reverse especially in the morning when cold, the brakes squeel....

-j

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone. I don't mind the squeek in the morning, just my neighbours.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Once the disc begin to wear a little they can develop a lip on the outer edge which can hold in water and over night a bit of flash rusting which will cause squeal for the first bit until the you scrub off the rust. By the time you get to the first stop sign) I'd go more with te idea of directional wear thou, particularly if you only get it in reverse.

·
on line
30 Posts
The brake pad on the back side of the rotor has what is commonly referred to as a squeaker. It is a piece of metal that is designed to rubb the rotor when the pad wears too thin. If the pad is not worn to this level than you are still good to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well guys i had the same squeeling when reversing in cold starts up here in ottawa Can. took it to the dealer and turns out it wasn't my rear brakes at all, it was my diff!!!! getting a new one under warranty thank god.....anyways it would be smart to check that out if the breaks seem fine cause it would of cost me 3600$ for a diff but barely made it in under warranty 99456km...

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
i have a 2009 and i get the same squeal in reverse (no noise going forward) Finngers, did the noise only come with brakes or all the time in reverse? i would think a diff would be constant but brakes would only be when they are applied

·
Registered
893 Posts
My 08 has brake squeel in reverse as well. Loud when backing out of my garage. Only happens when applying the brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
well my diff is being changed as we speak...but the squealing came as soon as i was backing up and also when applying the breaks in reverse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts